Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks 2006 to MC9

tmachine

tmachine,

you can save a SW 2006 file as a parasolid and import it into V9 with no trouble.

If you use parasolids, you can also build a

coordinate system in SW , export it with the parasolid and control how the solid lands in

V9. No more translating and rotating to

match your solid up with your V9 WCS

quote:

If you use parasolids, you can also build a

coordinate system in SW , export it with the parasolid and control how the solid lands in

V9. No more translating and rotating to

match your solid up with your V9 WCS

headscratch.gif Hey gcode.... I was Un-aware of that... What do you set in SW? headscratch.gif

In SolidWorks, go to

Insert/Reference Geometry/ Coordinate System

Make a coordinate system with X Y and Z pointing

the way you want them to be in Mastercam.

You can use existing geometry to define the system or make a plane and sketch an XY axis system to snap to.

You can make as many as you want and name them

to keep track of them (one for each side of a part for example)

then Save AS

parasolid (binary is best)

click Options

and select your coordinate system from the

"Output coordinate system" drop down

You can also set the ouput version level

(v15 will open in V9 just fine)

When you open the parasolid in V9 or X,

it will be oriented accordding to the

SW coordiante system

I've been begging CNC Software to include this in their SW export utility for years frown.gif

This works with STL, IGES, solid part file or assemblies.

gcode,

-------------

"...I've been begging CNC Software to include this in their SW export utility for years..."

-------------

I think you mean "import", but that's not important. What is important is how you would envision it being implemented? As a post-import part of the File/Open process (i.e. read the SLDPRT and then prompt for orientation)?

quote:

how you would envision it being implemented

Read the file

If no SW Coordiante Systems are present, import

with SW's default orientation.

If there is one or more CS's in the file have a

dialog screen with a dropdown pop up requesting the user make a choice.

[ 10-26-2005, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

"tmachine,

you can save a SW 2006 file as a parasolid and import it into V9 with no trouble."

True, I don't use SW, but half of my customers do. I can ask them to save the file so I can read it until I revision up. I was hoping to upgrade next year some time, but will have to rethink that. Even the upgrade price is a big expense for a 2 man shop.

Thanks again for the replies.

I think it works well enough. cool.gif Dealing with plastics (I don't know the benefits of other types of parts in the industry). If I import a SW file and its a Mold Base Assembly (EJ half, Hot Half, Inserts, Cores, etc.). I have to work with each part in MasterCam. Normally I keep the MBA in a file. Pull individual files (Save As). and bring that part into a machinable position in MasterCam.

If MasterCam prompted before I brought in into MasterCam where to set the orgin (i.e. Importing toolpath groups and operations). I don't know that it would benefit me if it was 30' off centerline.

What gcode showed me is a good feature if I were to design an individual part. I was to give it to another programmer.... He could then bring the file in ready to machine. no questions on which side is up! cheers.gif

I'm sure these features benefit others somehow someway... I had an incredible time trying to get my boss to spring for Version X. let alone purchase another add-on for a translator. Him knowing full well were running just fine in Version 9. The translation is good and accurate. Lets see if we can get the rest of our crew efficient in X! cheers.gif