Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe V9 Threading

jmm0422

he way I do it

I created a custom tool with the face of the insert at Z0

Suggustion on drawing the tool:

- Select the holder with a thread insert that has (roughly) the same dims as the tool you will be using. Click on 'Draw Tool' and select 'File Save' from the screen menu.

- Traslate the holder and insert so the insert face is at Z0 and the tip of the insert is at X0 (mod. the tip radius if needed) and use the result as the .MC9 file that your custom tool is based on.

Lathe custom tool geometry rules:

There must be separate planar closed boundaries for the insert and holder drawn in the Top view.

The boundaries must consist of lines and arcs only.

The insert and holder geometry must be different colors.

There must be no other geometry in the file.

Endpoints of entities defining the outer boundary of the insert and holder must be within .00000005, or you may get error messages

It work for me

We also get the "Z" offset from the face of the insert

Hope this help

Man I feel like an idiot. I still can not get it.

CR what you have is what I am trying to achieve.

I went into my custom tool and hit the draw tool, file save. Then opened up that MC9 file and transformed between points and moved the face of the insert to Z0. and then file, save.

Went to do a threading tool path selected my custom tool and when I went into the parameters and hit draw tool it still shows it with the tip of the insert at Z0.

What did I do wrong?

OK. I see what I was doing wrong. I had modified the shank of one of my standard tools and saved it. I was then trying to transform the standard tool from the tip at Z0 to the face of the tool to Z0.

I saved my standard tool in my library then pulled that geometry into a custom tool. I was then able to select the GEOMETRIC TOOL ORIENTATION IN TOP VIEW, and TOOL ORIENTATION IN TURRET to the face of the insert and the tip of the insert at X0 and Z0.

Thank you guys for the help. I really appreciate it.

Jason.