Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there a workaround for ncfilenames changing when editing machine def?

Bruce Caulley

Morning all,

I am sure this was brought up earlier but I couldn't find it or remember a fix. We use posts from Inhouse so they are locked to a particular dongle. If one of the programmers does a job and another has to open up the job later on for a tweak he will open the local copy of the machine definition and select the post that is for his dongle. Save and exit out and bingo! ncfilenames are back to machinegroup1 etc. Most of our MC files have at least 10 different operations with different names so this is a big pain. Short of asking inhouse to remove the dongle lock so we only have one post for each machine what can we do??

Bruce

Bruce,

I think this might be the work around if I understand your problem. I hope this isn't too unproffessional.

wink.gifclicky

There is also a c-hook floating around that allows you to change multiple nci names as the same time, and increment program numbers aswell. If you want it drop me a line through the forum and I will e-mail it too you. HTH cheers.gif

Thanks John. I am already a big X+ fan if that is what you are talking about. We structure our operations groups by tool with a different nc name for each. This way our programmes all run as subs at the control and an individual section can be reposted without losing tracability in the other sections. For op1 work the numbers start at 1010 and go up in increments of 10. Problem is that sometimes we need to add something in between so we will end up with a 1235 or something. If the nc names are lost when changing something as simple as which post we want to use then we are stuffed because even with the X+ chook increments may not be consistent.

The silly thing is that in the control definition there is more than one post defined. Why can't I just select one from the posting dialogue box? The active post is greyed out when posting and has to be changed in control definition.

Or does it headscratch.gif

Bruce

Bruce we are quickly getting in over my head, for the early morning. I know we can define multiple posts to the control definition, I have two one with arcs and one purley linear, but being the only guy programing machines, and it being mold work I have never even concerned myself with that problem. But I can see from your explanation that it must suck a big one, when that control gets lost. I guess I wasn't much help.

For the VB guru's out there. Is it possible to write a script file that would save the NC name upon changing Post, and then change the file name back to the original after the definition change is complete?

Love the new avatar John. A VB would be nice, but I would like to know if CNC plan on addressing this. Especially since the two posts that are defined in the control definition are the same, just locked to different sims. There must be others out there using paid-for posts with the same problem.

Bruce