Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

LATHE C AND T PLANES

DavidB

I have a straight line running down the Z-axis. The tool is the correct width for the slot so a contour toolpath on the line will do the trick.

I can't work out how to get the Cplane so as the part rotates around C to the correct position to machine the slot.

If I pick a chain Mastercam is smart enough to oriantate the part around in C to cut the contour in the right position . But with a straight line being the centre of the slot Im stragling to work out how to do this.

Thanks

I created a plane which sets both th eT/plane and the C/plane created the toolpath.Then in the toolpath parameters changed the Tool plane to BACK this left the WCS plane as defined.

There must be a better way?????

In V9 I could set the C/plane to what ever I wanted while leaving the T/plane at Back.

DavidB,

The Planes button in the Status Bar will change both C and T planes simultaneously. There is a separate toolbar however if you wish to activate it. Right-click in any empty area to the right of the toolbars. Look for the C-Planes toolbar in this new menu. Left-click on it to display that toolbar on the screen. It could be anywhere so look until you see the new toolbar. It may only have one icon with a "drop down" menu but that will give you the ability to change only the C-plane when you want to. HTH cheers.gif

C axis Cross Contour

Cross contour creates a toolpath parallel to the axis of rotation and is used primarily to cut slots. Mastercam uses the entire chain to set the tool plane (Tplane) and construction plane (Cplane) so that the tool is placed perpendicular to the axis of rotation for each toolpath you create.

Choosing this toolpath also turns off cutter compensation so that the center of the tool follows the programmed contour.

It is important where you pick, and on what geometry first for the cutting order. Remember, this toolpath sets the tool plane automatically.

So in the order you pick geometry that’s where Mastercam will start the toolpath.

Meaning: if the geometry you pick lies on a 60 degree angle from the side view, it will rotate the “C” axis and start the toolpath from there.

Hope this helps

Reece,

C axis cross contour is what Im using.It works fine when I pick a contour defining the slots outer edge.

Doing it this way sets the Tplane and Cplane and rotates the C axis to get the position.

quote:

Choosing this toolpath also turns off cutter compensation so that the center of the tool follows the programmed contour.

I use computer for offset and have no problem.I use wear also and it works givein a G42 on the Y axis moves.

But when the slot geometry is defined by a line which is the centre line of the slot Mastercam cant work out the rotation from just a single line defining the slot geometry.So as you stated a slot at say 30 degrees rotation with just a centre line as the slot geometry gets machined incorrectly.Mastercam cant work out to keep the Tplane as back and rotate the C axis so the tool is perpendicular to the line selected.