Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mc running in Server

cadcam

consultant, your are right that is what "should happen....... but does not happen. Each "user" has to run nethasp on each machine, that is what is creating the problem. I have done exactly what you have suggested, but as soon as student xyz comes along and tries to login to the system and begin a MC session.... the hasp not found.... message pops up. Students are not assigned computers, they grap the first unoccupied seat and begin work. With 200+ students and 200+ computers , well you get the picture. Maybe the problem is that each student has a private "N drive" to store documents etc, along with preference settings. The registry is reading their setting rather than the "machine" settings and therefore does not find the nethasp. It appears that MC defaults to search for the local hasp unless nethasp has been run. So here is the catch 22.... if MC looks in registry for each user, then each user must run nethasp.... for me it would be simplier if MC looked at a static "machine" registry rather than a dynamic "user" registry. Should be some way to globally set the "system" to nethasp with ability to change a few machines on the system to local hasp is needed. Currently, MC looks locally for the hasp by default and only looks at the network if nethasp is set. The issue is where this flag is set.. it appears to be user dependent rather than machine dependent. I can understand being tied to the user in most cases, but there needs to be an option to "lock-in" look for nethasp as a default.

Since this is located in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive, you would have to propigate this registry setting for each user with an account. What you or your network administrator can try is using logon scripts to change the registry settings automatically. This is assuming that your network has a domain controller/proper server like Windows NT Server 4.0 or Windows 2000 Server. In Regedit, export the registry key for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECNC Software, Inc. and name it something like "use_nethasp.reg". Make certain that the following string values are set in the REG file that you export:

"Sim Type"="N"

"NetHASP mode"="Network"

Then, on the server, setup a logon script for the accounts that will use Mastercam. In the script, make a call to the registry key you just exported, like this:

regedit /s "use_nethasp.reg"

Now if you don't have a proper server, you'd have to distribute the REG file somehow and make every user run it when the log in (they'd only have to do this once). Hope this helps smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Perhaps NetHasp could be part of each user's Logon Script or an even better idea would be to create a registry key file that will set the SIMTYPE to N, and put that in the user's logon script. Then it happens automatically, with no fiddling around.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Something else just occurred to me, Is Nethasp running in the services? If you have the restrictions clamped down pretty hard, it may not be. If the nethasp service is not set to run automatically then you will have the problem. To change it you will have to logon as the administrator for each machine and make sure it is set for Automatic in the "Startup Type". That way it SHOULD stay that way.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If it not running on the client machine then how will it know to use the NetHASP. Because the registry key in set in the dynamic Current User key instead of the local machine right?

quote:

If it not running on the client machine then how will it know to use the NetHASP. Because the registry key in set in the dynamic Current User key instead of the local machine right?

I'm certain that there isn't a NetHASP service for client machines; only NetHASP servers. We use a NetHASP here, and I don't have a NetHASP service running on my system. The only computer with a NetHASP service running is our NetHASP server. Below is some pseudocode that is my theory as to how Mastercam handles the SIM type decision during Mastercam's startup sequence. Plus, from a performace standpoint, this would be better way anyway; it only taxes the NetHASP server and not clients (I don't want to run any more services that I already have to) :

code:

Look in registry for the string

value "Sim Type" in
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWARECNC Software, Inc.

if ("Sim Type" == "H")

{

if (FoundLocalHASP() == TRUE)

run Mastercam from the local HASP

else

D'oh! Where'd the HASP go?

}

else if ("SIM Type" == "N")

{

open "nethasp.ini"

read values for server IP, protocol, etc...

run Mastercam based on "nethasp.ini" settings

}

else

Houston, we have a problem

PDG, is this a safe assumption as to how it works?

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Bullines ]

Login script to change the current user's SIM TYPE to N sounds like the ideal solution.

In this way, as the student loads up, the script reconfigures the SIM type.

A network administrator should know how to reset the settings of a current user (OR perhaps) since it is current user based for loading registries, maybe they should edit the core student registry to permanently indicate SIM TYPE as N.... Somewhere down the line at school, you are reading a set of registry values. The network admin might know where. We already know what variable is affected.

The SIM settings cannot be written to Local Machine, since it defeats the purpose of a Network concent to a relative degree.

I know that no one at Mastercam has reviewed this issue to this detail.

Maybe, someone should check with Aladdin (the SIM manufacturer's ) and see if they have a better or more logical solution IF the login script doesn't work. But, I have a feeling the Login script should work or hard-coding the Current User registry info.

Regards.