Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Average mastercam price

Age of 16

I like to stay on peoples good side, I just started doing Mastercam 9 in 9'th grade, (odd isn't it?) and within the last month, went onto doing 3D and Solids with the addition of the different planes to my knowledge! Before that all I did was make 2d programs and did VERY well with those. After that, I finish this, I'm going to be making a verticle stand that lights up! I need to think of a part that hasn't been done, or something new so I can enter in the Mastercam Contest!

jmparis:

quote:

Exodus not bad.

Remember however, being able to create a program to cut something is one thing but it is not what programming is all about. Learning how to cut different metals effectively, learning how to fixture and use different workholding devices, when and why to use certain tool as opposed to others are the critical part of being a successful programmer.

Good luck in your continued education.

Yeah, one of the hardest things I am going to be faced with in this project is fixturing, since:

1. It's round.
  2. It's being operated on on both sides with a 3-Axis Mill.
  3. The concave goes off the edge of the part, where it would normally be clamped.

My idea on what to do is to drill 2 holes in each end of the part, and rotate the vice so It's going sideways. Then I make make my own softjaws and drill holes in those the same distance away and up a bit, so the spindle and bit can come down and off my part without plunging into the vice! The only problem I'm having, is how to do the bottom, If I can get it clamped in without it coming loosed during the cutting, it should be okay. But, The wall going to be .1" thick, so it may flex, very easily. The only way I can think of is to do that, and add supports into the part and then file those out by hand. If I were making a thousand of these, I would have one guy run, and one guy file!

[ 01-01-2006, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Exodus ]

I would just cut it out of a thicker piece say 1.75 and then flip it over and deck the .25 inch off the back face after all your machining is done. Could just move the jaws on vise and do it in there (clamp from ends). Might want to run an idicator across it first to make sure its flat. Oh now That I said all that you are going to use round stock oops my bad. I round I'd cut stock couple inches longer and clamp on the ends. put flats on ends and work off of those.