Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

lead in/out using helix?

CRFJim

This one may be tougher to explain than to fix. I'm doing a fairly simple run of parts soon, but my limited knowledge of 4th axis machining is kind of hampering my progress. First off, my part is a simple cylinder with a helical slot cut into it that's timed with an alignment slot in the middle. The helix needs to go one revolution around the outside of the cylinder, it needs to enter and exit (front to back) completely. I can draw and toolpath the part easily enough, but when using verify (I'm using 9.1 BTW) I notice it's plunging into the part and I can't seem to get it to do a lead in/lead out correctly. Anyone have a simple fix for me? Thanks! Jim

I've already got the part drawn with the helix in place and I've toolpathed it using 5 axis with a 4th axis output, but really don't see any place to keep it from plunging into the part rather than starting off the part. I tried your tip on using the c-hook,and it looks like it might work, but how do you keep the tool pointing towards the center? I'm kind of in over my head with multi-axis toolpathing, and don't know too many of the commands in the menu. I could likely just redraw the helix, making it longer on the ends, but like I said it has to be timed with a slot in the middle and I'd have to go through all kinds of work just to get the helix to start and end where I need it to. Thanks for taking the time to help, I need all I can get.

Jim

Ok, it's in the FTP under "Ice Cream Disc". If I uploaded it wrong, please let me know since it's the first time I've done that and as usual I had to kind of bumble my way through it. But that's basically the part, and hopefully you guys can see the problem. I need the slot to start and end off the part. Thanks in advance!

Jim