Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chamfer'd Edges

Hey all,

I have some custom defined chamfer tool, straight from the tool catalog the information was taken in put in MCX. When I go to use any of them, they are always off the part. From the verify, it looks like they are compsated (in this case) too far to the left. So I try right side and it cuts down the mid-right of part (huge cut, very wrong!). So I turn comp off for center line cutting and it still cuts big into the part. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I have found when using chamfer tools, that you have to do the math to get the step and depth to be correct. If you just use contour MC sees only the Diameter of the tool, you have to adjust it into position.

I do this with a minus stock amount in the XY stock left box.

If you're doing 45° chamfer try using contour and set it to chamfer, it handles the calculations for you them

I create a seperate tool in mastercam and lie to it about the outer diameter. ex: if I have a 60 deg. chamfer with an OD of 32.mm and an ID of 22.mm, I define my tool as having an OD of 22.mm. It's basically the same as what jmparis is doing only saves me from typing in the offset everytime. If your using the same tool to do both top and bottom chamfers you'll have to define the tool to spec and do the math for the chamfer on top.

Actually it turns out, upon closer inspection of the verified part, that one of tools is tacking out material where it's not suppose to be, and such likely why I have to screw with the 45 tool.

I am going to post the part on the ftp in the MCX folder and call it MM Plate.MCX. What I am looking at with the error is when it uses the 4" face mill, on either side of the key, it cuts to close to center and when the 2" face mill finishes, from the right side view, there is an obvious step.

Any help would be awesome!

Randy another option is to set the tool up on a shadow graph find a safe minor od of the tool and the distance from the bottom of the tool to where the 45 on that OD will touch plug that diameter into mastrcam touch the tool off then compensate for the distance from the bottom of the tool to where your safe minor OD will break the edge on the part then progam it as a countour using the size of your chamfer for your Z depth