Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Inch/metric on same machine?

Müřlıń®

quote:

dont know if it will work with X but 9 no probs

So you have both installs headscratch.gif

quote:

if you want just metric, can't you just change your configuration?

I hadn't thought of that. you can change thqat on the fly? bonk.gif

but I was going to get the post working in 9 and then have X auto convert the machine definition...

Wonder how that would work.... headscratch.gif

Murlin, since CAD systems are actually in "units" of measure and not specifically inches or metric, you can just draw the part at its face value in the "inch" system. The only time its gonna be an issue is when you tool it. Either have a metric tool library set up, or convert the inch tools for metric values and set up a library. I used to program a metric machine but I used the same "inch MasterCam" to program.

Now in X, I think you can freely switch between inch and metric after you choose a MD. In the Properties you can choose different tool libraries, operation defaults files etc. If you set metric files, I think this should work real easy for you. I haven't played with this yet to try though.

cheers.gif

quote:

So you have both installs

No only 9, but I have icons with the target modded like this and I rename them also to the machine. cool.gif

Just copy the Icon on your desktop and paste.

Then rename it to the machine. And then do this.

Example; C:Mcam91MILL9.EXE JimsA55mill9.cfg

To create a new .cfg file go to screen, congigure, upper right corner hit save as, ?????.cfg file. You can also edit inside the post to use this particular config file.

Sounds like X is gonna handle that differently.

psycho,

have u got all the machine defs done for down there tongue.gif

quote:

Now in X, I think you can freely switch between inch and metric after you choose a MD. In the Properties you can choose different tool libraries, operation defaults files etc. If you set metric files, I think this should work real easy for you. I haven't played with this yet to try though.

X works pretty much the same as 9 when it comes to inch/metric -- you've got your inch .config files, and your metric .config files, just load a different one to switch from inch/metric mode, if you've got geometry on the screen Mastercam prompts you if you want to scale it. If you've got a machine def already loaded, it's OK with that too, it's smart enough to handle it either set of units.

--Robert