Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chain Select in MCX MR1?

Bruce Kanzelmeyer

I must be going a little nuts, but how do you select a chain in MCX? For example, when I want to delete a chain of splines (but I don't want to delete all splines) it seems like I can only pick them 1 at a time--is there a chain select in the "only" selection tab that somehow I am missing? Thanks for your help and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Bruce

or new for mr1:

"Now you can set the chaining method using the following keys instead of having to change the mode with the mouse: C=Chain, P=Partial, T=Point, W=Window, A=Area, S=Single, G=Polygon, V=Vector, L=Last, E=End chain, U=Unselect, and R=Reverse."

Mark

Mark

Thanks for feedback--works like a champ! Related issue: When I select a chain for pocket machining, the whole chain selects fine and yet I get a message that chain is not closed. Every place I zoom in it looks fine. Is there an easy way to locate where the break is so that it can be repaired? I have tried analyze chain but that only seems to give details about its makeup and nothing about breaks. Is there a close chain command somewhere? I've used cad/cam software (Camand)in the past that automatically closed chains and the operator could set up tolerances for the gaps that were automatically closed. Thanks for your help!

Bruce

Bruce,

try using partial chain selection couple times with different entities as a start of a chain.

If there is a gap in the chain you will get a message:path between first and last entity not found (or something like that), but you'll also get an arrow at the end of chain where the gap is...

hth

edit: spelling wink.gif

Here's the main problem: I am trying to pocket machine. When I select the curves, the whole pocket is selected. The curves were originally made by creating them from "all edges" of a flat irregular surface. When I analyze curves it tells me its made up of a large # of splines, no overlapping, no duplicates, etc. However when I say ok, lets create a pocket toolpath, Mastercam says the pocket is not closed and it won't generate a toolpath. I zoom way into the start area and I can't see a gap. Is there any way to automatically close the curve so I can generate a toolpath? It appears that "chaining" sees these curves as closed, but the toolpath generating parameters does not. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

quote:

The curves were originally made by creating them from "all edges" of a flat irregular surface.

Bruce,

Can you re-create those curves on a separate level and try using chain window?

This way you don't have any unneeded garbage that might be screwing up your selection.

hth