Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

UG - igs file converting

Robby GM

I've seen those little boxes on other UG files and my best guess is they are construction planes used by Unigraphics. A pain to remove. But if that's all you're getting, you're UG person is doing a pretty good job. I usually get a bunch of unwanted 2-D data interspersed among my 3-D. My fix was to buy the M/Cam Parasolid translator. The export from UG takes a fraction of the time of the Iges translation, which makes the UG person happy, and the MC8 file is absolutely clean. One translator can convert files for a lot of M/Cam seats, and solids are a pleasure to work with. Provided, of course, the parts are designed as solids. Very likely, since that's one of UG's strong points.

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch. M/Cam can mail my commission to the Red Cross earmarked for the Unknown Soldier's Widows Fund. rolleyes.gif

aberent,

I was thinking that is what he was talking about the plan boxs you get the same thing from Catia files.

I wanted to veiw the file to make sure that was what i was thinking.

I also find the UG converter to be a great add-on

the customer like to give direct UG mods when ever they can.

smile.gif

From what I can tell it'll also work fine in V8.1.1 if you do not have an IGESIN.DLL in your Apps sub-directory. It looks to me from doing some debugging that the IGESIN.DLL 'App's ignore the 'import unbounded 108s as lines' checkbox.

Still trying to figure out what to do about it though.

Did any of you guys find that it ignored the checkbox in a straight-up V8.1.1 release (i.e. no IGESIN.DLL)? If so, then I'm heading in the wrong direction.

PDG

• 3 weeks later...

To All,

Why not simply export as a Parasolid (x_t) file from UG? Mastercam will convert it directly and you can bring it in without wireframe. I'd much rather have the solid or surfaces from a parasolid to work with instead of an Iges file. I can always extract wireframe using Create-Curve menu to get the edge curves that I need from the part. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If at all possible, Peter Scott's solution is the best. Even better IMHO than the direct translator because it's free with Mastercam! Not that I'm knocking

If the customer uses Solid Edge or Solid Works you can read the NATIVE file otherwise you'll need to get an x_t, xmt_txt, or an x_b.

We have 2 large cnc mills each with Mc level 3

2 small cnc mills with Mc level 3

1 cnc lath with Mc

1 wedm with Mc

Each operator does his own programing, problem

we have is out of 9 operators only 2 really know

surfaces ans solids,

i have had UG guys out put x_t files for me,

i love working with them.

i showed one other operator and his reation was

where is the surfaces mad.gif

some times i wish i was back in the small job shops !

i am trying to convert them to solids.