Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MR1 Crash on save

Cuda84

Ray Culver from CNC Software in another thread today says:

quote:

FYI: Also, a 'backup files' option is in the works where you specify a max number of backup files to be retained whenever you file your part either manually or during an auto-save. If you save your part "Test.mcx", then any existing files of the same name in the same directory will have an incremented version number appended to the file name. The result would be "Test-1.mcx", "Test-2.mcx", etc. up to the max you specify. The next time you filed "Test-9.mcx" would be incremented and renamed to "Test-10.mcx" and any existing "Test-10.mcx" would be deleted (if your max backup files was set to a value of 10).

Sounds like a very smart idea ! I couldn't resist pasting it in here since it seems so relevant to the topic.

I just had this happen today as well. Any toolpaths and solids were lost (however surfaces and linesarcs were not lost). I was using winamp, however other computers at the shop here that don't use any music programs have had this problem as well. I figured it had to do with an error or something of the like on my computer, so I did scandisk and all that fun stuff and came up with nothing.

The winamp theory to me seems rather bogus as on my personal computer at home, I have yet to have a crash induced by running winamp with programs that require heavy system resources, (ie running a game on one monitor with winamptv streaming on monitor #2 with AIM programs running at the same time).

Looks like I'll be setting up the computers here to do the multiple backup deals here.

Anyone else find it fun to make images of mastercam crashes backgrounds? haha, pardon the poor mspaint. http://offthebreak.com/~andrewgore/mastercamcrash.JPG

andrew smile.gif

edit: also, just remembered as I went back to the computer. The entities that were left in the file, are not on the same level as they were originally. We've had this happen without X crashing. Files will randomly change levels on us (usually happens if we open a mc9 file in mcx)

Not that this solves the crashing problem, but...

I've never trusted 'autosave' with any program. Anything I'm working on that will take more than 10 minutes I save manually adding an incremental number to the end of the file about every 10 minutes, or when you're about to make a major addition to the program.

File-1.mcx

File-2.mcx

File-3.mcx

etc...

That way, when you change something that doesn't work, and undo doesn't 'undo' like you want, there is a file to go back to. After everything is done, you can go back and delete all the incremental files. This has worked for me for years. You do have to remember to do the saves yourself, but once it becomes a habit it works well.

my .02

I realize what a lot of people are doing is smart, but does this honestly make any sense to anyone that we have to do this? I can have a 100+mb photoshop file, and not have to worry about making multiple backup copies of the file whatsoever. I realize PS is a more established program, but it's not like mastercam has only been around for a few months.

<--super frustrated by trimming surfaces and surfaces mysteriously jumping to random levels on me.

Andrew

quote:

I realize what a lot of people are doing is smart, but does this honestly make any sense to anyone that we have to do this?

We do what we have to do to get the job done.

I haven't had any system crashes in a while, but I used to get a zero file save about once every couple of months. It seemed like the only time it would happen was when I wasn't doing my back-up.

quote:

super frustrated by trimming surfaces and surfaces mysteriously jumping to random levels on me

I've been using Mcam since v5 and I've never heard of that happening. Is that a common problem for some people?

Its not just from using MC9 files I can tell you that. My guys have had this happen to them at least 3 or 4 times now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled MR1 several times and it still happens. And its on different computers, not just the same computer all the time. It just happened to someone as I am typing this, 9 hours down the drain and he is pretty pissed!!!

Like I said above, this happened in version 9 also. There needs to be some better way to make sure this doesn't happen. I have also been using Powershape for about 5 years and I have NEVER lost a file or had a file get corrupted on me. If you watch what Powershape does it saves the file quite a few times and checks the integrity of it to make sure the save was good.