Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FLIPPING PART AFTER VERIFY!

haroldm

Hey Guys, I have searched the forum and have read many posts on this subject. But i apologize because i cannot understand how to do this. I have been using mastercam for over 8 years, and i feel stupid for asking, but could someone dumb it down for me? I have a part, that has toolpaths on side A. I want to run verify on this part then flip it over and run side B. How can i use the STL file to verify the other side? Thanks again for your help, and i deserve the flaming that i am sure will come. Thank you all.

Hi Harold,

The way I've always done it, is to open a new file then use the Converter - STL and select your .stl file. After you select it, you will have the option of XForming it. Go ahead and Xform and flip it however you want it then save it as another .stl (i.e., op2.stl). When you go to verify your second operation, use the "from file" option and select the op2.stl file. That should do what you want it to do. This is how I did it in v9.1. If you're using X it may be different.

John

Harold,

the way I do it is to move the geometry to where I want it, ie..centered on XY axis, then I set my tool/cplane to bottom or front or topside or rightside, when a procedure is created it will be created on that plane. You can then verify one or all of the different procedures for the different sides at the same time.

You can also manually change the planes of a procedure in the planes dialog of the "toolpath parameters" page

When I want to program a part complete for verification on all sides, I click on the Gview and choose Number. For programming the bottom of a part you will have to input 4. Make sure Tplane, Cplane and Gview all match ( click 'number' then enter the number 4 ). Now when your Tp, Cp, and Gv say 4, your part will automatically flip over to the bottom. This works for all the sides, example: 3 is the opposite of front, 4 is the opposite of top, and 6 is the opposite of side. Mind you, you may have to program z from the bottom up for the verify to turn out right. By using it this way, your WCS can stay on 'top' unless you have a reason to change it to someplace different.

quote:

Hey JohnA, I have tried that before, but i cannot saved the modified STL, it says that there are not surfaces on screen or none have been selected. Any workaround for this?

If using V9 do NOT read the stl file when going into the converter, but xform it then save it.

Same goes for X... Don't open the file, but use the XForm option.

Hope that makes sense.