Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File merge

I am going to rip out the little bit of hair I currently have on my head.

I am trying to merge a programmed part into a file that has the table, vise, parallels, the entire set up. I have created a WCS at the origin as it will appear in the file. I, for the life of me cannot get the imported file to move into the view I need. I have tried using current attributes and it seems to just completely ignore them.

Is what I am trying to do even possible?

Or since the part is already programmed with it's own set of WCS's is this going to just cause problems. I have also tried bring the setup into the machining file with all the same problems.

If I am going to do this am I just better off starting from scratch and not trying to merge the files?

From Mcam X help, smile.gifnote bold print at bottom

Use the File Merge/Pattern function (File menu, File Merge/Pattern) to import and merge entities from an existing part file into the current file. This function is useful if you have a part such as a nut or bolt that you use repeatedly in your work. Rather than recreate it each time you need it, you can import it into the current file as many times as needed.

By default, Mastercam merges the selected file with the current file. If you use the Merge/Pattern ribbon bar to change the location within the current file, you can then place the selected file multiple times.

You can use the File Merge/Pattern function to import and merge the following file formats:

MCX files created in Mastercam X.

MC7, MC8, or MC9 files created in Mastercam versions 7 through 9.

CAD files in other supported formats, which Mastercam converts to MCX.

When you choose the File Merge/Pattern function, the Open dialog box displays. Select and open the file containing the entity or entities you wish to merge. Then use the Merge/Pattern ribbon bar to set merge parameters.

Notes:

It is useful to store files containing pattern entities in a separate directory (e.g., Pattern files) so that they are easy to find when you use this function.

Each time you import a set of pattern entities into the current file, Mastercam identifies the entities as a group in the database for future use. Mastercam names the group using the pattern file name and a number to ensure the uniqueness of the group name. For more information about groups, see Working with groups.

Toolpaths cannot be imported; solids and dimensions can be imported.

Bear with me here. Sometimes It takes me a while...

JMParis was merging and getting unsatisfactory results...

Bryan and Bruce suggested "insert pattern" instead of merging...

I have fiddled with the FILE, MERGE/PATTERN ribbon bar a bit and just can't seem to grasp what they're getting at. I am very familiar with merging files but I don't get what Bryan and Bruce were recommending...

I had my table, subplate and my vise setup modeled. The part I was trying to bring in was sideways it was drawn so it could be done on the 4th axis, which is the 3rd operation on the part. The top, 1st op, of this part was actually the Left side view. I was tryin to bring in the part orientated so the 1st op view would be situated in the vise for cutting.

I would have though I would be able to position the part through the position dialog of the pattern merge but I could not. I had to place it and THEN transform it to where I wanted it.

Next time I do this I'll start with my setup and create a WCS where I want the part in the vise and THEN create my part. Just seems like it's a lot easier that way.