Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FORM BLOCK help!

haroldm

Hey guys,

i was hoping to get some help here. I am trying to make a form block for this part, specifically the inside shape. I have uploaded the file to the FTP (ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/MC9_files/-155) I would appriciate any help i could get. i have tinkered with this stinkin part for almost two days now, and I could half-#$# it, but i would prefer not to. The plan is to align the part on the block with the two tooling pins on top then hammer it down. I know some genius is out there with nothing to do and looking for a challenge.. confused.gif I also have MCX if that makes a diffrence, thanks in advance!!

Harold,

I used Solidedge to make your block.You are correct in that is pretty awesome stuff if used correctly.Solidedge has a tool called "Bluesurf" that just rocks.I took your part and dropped it into a blank assembly.I then used inter-part copy to collect the needed surfs from your model.I then "Bluesurfed" the collected faces,stitched them together and filleted the model.Done in less than 5 minutes.Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Later

i think so. i was doing it yesterday. it got somewhat complicated because the surfaces were not very agreeable to trim functions, but no reason it wouldn't work with some trouble.

but there's no way i could have done it in 5 minutes. realistically at least a couple of hours.

maybe someone who's good with mc solids could do better though.

Hey Bellyup,

Try to exteend the surfaces and you will see that they begin to seperate due to the draft angle. I would love to make this a solid in Mastercam, but so far only the Solidedge thing seemed to work. I am trying it out now, but bestguest did not leave very detailed instructions, so it is giving me a large headache..haha

i did it the way your'e talking about. there's definitely some construction that needs to happen when you extend the surfs up due to separation, but with some extending and trimming i think you will end up with what you want.

what instructions did you want him to leave you?

i thought he gave you a completed part.

Yeah he did, and that worked out perfectly, but I had no idea that Solidedge could do that. One of our customers has Solidedge on his laptop and he is letting me mess with it today. I was hoping to derive how he did it by his instructions, but they are not very clear, that is of course no fault of his. smile.gif So anyways, i am wasting the day messing with Solidedge.

Harold,

If you want give me a call here at the office.I can walk you thru it on the phone and I would be willing to send my assembly via email if you are interested.The technique that I used would be no different than pulling faces from a part model for an electrode or cavity blk.I have been doing this type of modeling for many years on different systems including using Mastercam.I could have done this in Mastercam also but Solidedge "Bluesurf" technologies just rules for this type of work.Hence the reason I used Solidedge.Call me at 262-334-4626 ask for Matt McQuestion if you are interested.

Later

took a couple of steps.

create surfaces from solid, there were 5 but I only did the 4 big ones.

Untrim them and extend@ 2" all over. (more if needed)

Create top and bottom surfs far out beyond all the rest so you can trim the extended surfs too.

Trim the top and bottom first

Then trim the 3 intersecting surfs on the edges.

The small surf on the angle was made by projecting edge curves from the solid down on to the other two surfs and extending those.

Trim out and add a ruled in the small area.

Add flat boundaries for the top and bottom

Solidify..... smile.gif Solid/from surfaces

Maybe not as simple as solidedge, but pretty easy.

Just have to do it in the right steps.

Trimming the top surfs and the bottom surfs first is the key.

This lines up the edge surfs for trimming.

Look at blanked entities for edge curves

I did solid fillets where I could after it was a solid body.

One fillet wouldn't go but if you really needed it on there you could convert back to surfs and finish it up and prol re solidify if you wanted to go to the trouble.

Or just let the tool do it smile.gif

Hey Murlin,

That did work, i remembered why i hate trimming surfaces to surfaces, but in the end, that only took about 10 minutes for me. Thank you very much, i tried that solidedge, and it seems a little more complicated than i first thought. Thanks again.