Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post Learning and Documentation

comp

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

As a word of caution, there is NO manual/book/documentation that tells you "how" to write a post. It is mostly variable definition, and some "do this and you get that" type stuff. Unless you're really into it, it's rather "dry" reading IMHO.

The Post Processor CD and your MC Reseller are good places to start if you want to do your own posts and they can possibly give you some pointers along the way.

JM2C

Mr comp;

I remember wanting to write a post. Now I agree with James. I bought the post processor manual long before it was a cd, and was simply amazed at how hard it was to understand. It is much easier to nab a post that sorta works and add your bells and whistles as I did. Jay (aka cadcam) has a buddy that takes a slightly different approach- I think his company is called post haste or something like that. He will be happy to send you a demo.

Or maybe we are underestimating your understanding of code.

BTW, are you G41 or G42?

I'am green as a tree can be in post in MasterCAM, but i want to learn, i have done some post for other soft, so i want to give it a try!

A friend did give me his post and it seems to be a custom post he had 5 files mp*.dll mp*.txt that was in his chook rep and he also had in the post rep *.pst, *.psb &*.txt.

So i would like to find what does what?

I tried his post and when it was to create the NC file it gave in the bottom of the screen binary error or some thing like that?

Your post works fine and his works fine at his shop but not on the computer at your shop.

Can that be a corrupted file or what?

I only have one file. I call it Jim.pst and it is in the posts sub dir. What kind of animal are you trying to control and I'm sure someone here has a post that will make it move a little. Take the post that makes it move a little, disect it and re-assemble it to your liking. I know of no documentation that walks you through designing an entire post. But then again I don't know everything. Now Bullines- he knows almost everything but is rather humble about it.

Post that are protected to a certain SIM number will be encrypted, meaning that the customer will receive a *.pst, *.txt and a *.psb which is the binary portion of the post.

This is obviously done by post writers that want to protect there work against modifications from people that don't have the knowledge of post writing and start changing things around that should not.

Luc

mp.dll is the executable for the post processor

mp.txt is the file that gives you the promts you see on the mastercam screen

*.pst is the text portion of the post and the main part you need to edit

*.txt contains prompt adjustments to Mastercam that are linked to the post - drill cycles, misc values, and the like

*.psb means, as Luc said, that a portion of the post has been turned into binary so that it cannot be read or modified (it doesn't necessarily have to be coded to a particular SIM) - if you get the HTML set-up sheet for this website, you'll get html.set (equivalent to a pst) and html.psb which is binary encoded so you can't steal all of their hard work biggrin.gif