Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MC9 vs. MCX

c-hook

I was wondering how big of a difference there was between version 9.1 and X. I didn't notice any extreme differences from versions 7-9 except for maybe "solids" and better functionality, etc. I don't expect the company I work for to upgrade anytime soon, considering the cost, but I was just curious if there are any new features that are a "must have" on version X?

C-hook-

There are many differences between 9 and X. Far too many to list here.

Take a look at the videos found here:

http://www.mastercam.com/Support/Multimedia/Default.aspx

Start with the introducing Mastercam X video. It does a good job giving you a general overview of the differences.

What type of machining are you doing?

Doug

quote:

"must have" on version X?

The X CAD interface is completely different from

V9. Some people love it, some people hate it.

I'm in the "love it" group, and think most are more productive in X once they learn the new interface. X is completely new and you'll be learning to draw all over again.

As for 'must have", X has some new High Speed

toolpaths that rock. You can download some

video presentations on them from the Mastercam Support webpage.

They is more new stuff coming in MR2, ( very very cool new stuff) but I can't say any more than that.

If you're really curious, get a demo disk from your dealer and watch the multimedia stuff you can download off the support page.

quote:

C-hook-

There are many differences between 9 and X. Far too many to list here.

Take a look at the videos found here:

Start with the introducing Mastercam X video. It does a good job giving you a general overview of the differences.

What type of machining are you doing?

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

I am shop foreman for a 41 year old company. I set up cnc mills for small production runs and also lots of prototype stuff for military and aerospace projects.

I love the interface of mastercam X, but hate the crashes, bugs, and things that need Fixing. If you want to upgrade to X, i'd wait until the next big "fix" or whatever they want to call it comes out. Not worth it imo to learn a new style of something when you gotta fight with problems.

Andrew

quote:

hate the crashes

Some users have eliminated the crashes by

turning off Windows System Restore.

( see the Mastercrash X thread)

The Save bitmap option is also causing 0 byte

crashes with some video cards so that should be turned off as well.

We've got 6 seats of X_MR1 and one seat of MR2 beta and they are all more stable that V9 ever was.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I thik Hardware is just as important as it ever was and I also agree that X has been very stable. Only once have I had a problem file, but I sent it to a forum member who opened it up, saved it and sent it back and it was fine. headscratch.gif Never figured that one out.