Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

*RANT* Surface High Speed Toolpath

This is irritating. I keep reading of how wonderful the new high speed toolpaths are but try and try again I get exactly NO SATISFACTION from them.

This latest effort was the perfect opportunity for Horizontal Area Finishing. So I created the whole thing... Toolpath looked nice...

UNTIL ...

I run verify and find that it's IGNORING my negative stock to leave... It let me put the value in. Just won't cut it... curse.gifmad.gif

Is it something I did ? Or is this toolpath "functioning as designed" ?

Is anybody actually making chips with these toolpaths or are they just for sales demonstrations ?

I like and use waterline and horizontal surfaces regularly with good results. The other finish paths and the roughing paths seem less desireable and on complex parts take a LONG time to process. Even waterline takes almost twice as long to process as surface finish contour, but the results seems a little cleaner--I believe the transitions are smoother. I've never tried to take negative material with any of these though. My $.02 worth!!

Matt,

I've just tried this out on a sample surface file and it appears to be ""functioning as designed" but ignoring the negative stock to leave on the floor value. You are doing it with the "floor stock" value and not the wall stock value right? If you send me the file I can forward it on to CNC Software and ask them if it's working the way it should or you could e-mail it to [email protected]. I know they're not working today though so no one there will get to it until Monday.

On a side note, did you check your "computer" topic on the Off Topic forum? I posted a reply stating that you could purchase a workstation through us. Just plug it in and turn it on and you'd be working. Just a thought. cheers.gif

Thanks for the feedback Bruce.

Peter,

Actually I needed negative floor and wall stock so I had it in both places in equal amounts. (-.015) with .125 flat e-mill.

I'll ship it to QC Monday. Meanwhile, I just went back to my old bag of tricks...(again)

I saw the computer suggestion and I believe the holder of purse strings has contacted somebody at S4A.

Thanks.

quote:

with .125 flat e-mill.

I supposed it's possible that you can't cut negative stock with a flat endmill? Has anyone determined for sure if MCX can do it? I know it was supposed to be able to but I'm not sure if it ever materialized.

I've had good luck with Horizontal area, but I haven't cut minus stock with any of the new HS toolpaths.

Thad