Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dual monitors: mastercam problems

beej

I'm having problems with mastercam windows jumping from one monitor to another. This might be a windows setting problem. But when i have one window processing on the right. I go to the other window on the left monitor and the right window jumps over there too.

when I first hooked up the second monitor I clicked a button that told the task bar to spread between the 2 monitors and now I can't find that button back that puts it on one monitor.

Mcx-mr1 on xp-pro

I think that MC is not responsible for these kind of problem. The source usually is the driver, because it is responsible to "teach" to the graphics card how to handle with the dual monitors setup. What card are you using? Are you using the latest drivers?

No doubt that is a great piece of hardware. Maybe it´s a problem or conflict between MC and the drivers. My point is, how many guys had this kind of problems with MC so far? I´m not saying that MC is not the reason, but technically, the driver is responsible to deal with dual monitors management. I have my doubts if MC has at least one line of code in its graphical rotines dedicated only to deal with dual monitors. I think that this is the task of driver, that will use the OpenGL and another graphical routines called by MC in its code. These libraries are responsible to interact with the driver, and they are not developed by CNC software. OpenGL for instance is a third-party kernel.

Just my 2 cents....

[ 04-20-2006, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Watcher ]

Part of the advanced video card setting is a

utility called Desktop Management.

You need to play with the setting in there.

I think you have it set to open windows on the cursor screen. You probably want to change it

to the application screen

gcode, thanks for the words. It was exactly what I forgot to say. The correct use and setup of the Desktop Management utilities tweaks the driver to have a different behavior, so in short, the Graphic Card software (I mean driver) is responsible for this. I did go to the final of question, instead of start by the begin.

Sorry for that beej.

Paul said today:

quote:

#4, while this forum is a great source of information, you have to take a lot of it with a grain of salt. Not everyone on here knows more that you do and often times the information you receive will actually make matters worse. Your local reseller is still your best source for help and if they can't handle it, they can always contact us for help.

Take this into consideration. Maybe I´m saying poppycock.

Watcher,

thanks for the info. I figured it was probably a video card thing just not sure how to fix it.

cheers.gif

Gcode, I'm messing with those settings. They looked like they were set right. but I'm doing a little tweaking. I thought that the setting I changed earlier was a windows setting rather than an nvidia setting. but I'm not completely sure now.

quote:

Nvidia Quadro 280 Pci-e

quote:

No doubt that is a great piece of hardware

Isn't that the card (Quadro 280 NVS) that I read recently things like this were being said ?

quote:

I am suprised that mastercam works at all with this card.

quote:

This is an extremely poor choice for a Mastercam

(or Cad/Cam) video card.. Its about 1 step up

from a blackboard and chalk

Yeah there are quite a few settings in the nvidia manager...something related to "mouse focus". I'm not at my desktop right now otherwise I'd be able to tell ya the exact name of it. gcode's got you on the rigth track.

m2c, I run in nvidia "dualview" mode. That gives you a bit more control as to which screen programs open on.

ie. X always on display 1, firefox on display 2

Wow, Matt, you're right. I'm pretty discouraged right now. I've had video problems in the past. We picked this computer up at an auction a few months ago from a shop that went under and when I saw that it had a nvidia quadro I thought I was doing good. But I got it cheap enough that we still could be ok in buying a better card

quote:

Nvidia Quadro 280 Pci-e

quote:

No doubt that is a great piece of hardware

Hey guys, I really sorry for my comment, but when beej stated that was using a Quadro card, I imagined that was a good one. I don´t know all the models available in the market.

quote:

Take this into consideration. Maybe I´m saying poppycock.

Rectification: I´m said poppycock. biggrin.gif