Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machine tool decision

kyle forbes

We are currently looking at a new vertical mill and have it narrowed down to a Mori NV5000 and a

Kitamura Mycenter 3xif. We are looking at doing

mold frames and some hard milling. We have a Haas VF-5 50 taper and are looking for something smaller, more accurate, and more rigid. The Mori

seems like a better machine but the Kit is a lot cheaper for what would seem to be a solid machine. One concern I have with the Kit is what kind of shape will it be in in 5 years. I know this forum comes with a boatload of experience and am looking forward to your input.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've used both and like both. If it were my money, I'd go with the one with more features that I want and use. Dataserver, AI-NANO, More Memory, etc... Also, the Kit is probably a Box Way machine. If you're going to be doing hard milling on them, have each Machine Toool Dealer cut your sample part. Same programs, same feeds and speeds. They are sililar enough the code should be compatible. Then compare surface finis and cycle time.

In some instances I prefer a Box Way over a Linear Way but it all depends on how I'm going to be using the equipment.

HTH

We have both of them here. Both with 20k spindle.I like the NV5000. The Kit you have to warm up the spindle everytime after the machine is shut down. The spindle is really noisy since it's gear. The sheet metal is very flimsy compare to the Mori. But the Kit is a little more precision than the Mori when it comes to cutting high precision part. The control on the Kit is 16i fanuc. The Mori has 18I fanuc but the crapps 2 is behind it so it's really slow.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ahhhhhh yes. I forgot, the Mori has that LAME ARSE CRAPPS front end. That definitely gets low marks. Though I do know how to turn it off so... biggrin.gif

I have a NV5000 APC.

sheet metal is $^&@. A beer can is thicker. I had to remove the grey sheet metal from both sides of the spindle, apply walmart gasket mtl, then re-install panels. It's quiet now but for $240,000 I would have expected more.

Other than that and the fines going right thru the chip screens into the pumps and coolant nozzles I love the machine. I have since fixed the fines problem with several sets of my own screens.

A friend looked real hard at the Kit but decided on the NV (he has 2) because of the high rpm combined with the geared head scared him.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Bob,

I have a suggestion in place of the screens. Rosedale Filters

Put one of these after your pump and you'll not clog nozzles again. biggrin.gif They work awesome. Several of my customers us them and swear by them. The filters last about 4-5 months depending on the material you cut.

lurking in the shadows of the search function.

90% of questions can be answered in there alone.

We use Pro/Manufact for 3d programming and that is

all i do anymore. We have two seats of level 1 and

one seat of wire. I waited til X came out to start

leaning on the powers that be to upgrade to level 3 and drop pro man like the piece of %$^& that it is! Hopefully we will be up to three soon!

James, I put 100 micron screen over the std punch plates on my chip conveyor. Then I made a trough and put 1" filter foam in it. This sits under the outlet ports of the conveyor to catch "super fines" and any chips if the screens get torn. Then I have a 10 micron, #5 cartrige filter after the main coolant nozzle pump.

The problem with only a cartrige filter is that the scraper conveyor punch plates are .020" holes and a huge volume of chips go by the plates into the coolant. Then the entire coolant tank is a slurry of chips/coolant. The chips stick to everything, all surfaces including the inside of the hoses, clogging the whole works before it ever gets to the cartrige filter.