Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Recommendations for 3D solid/surface CAD modeller

Phil Orenstein

I am submitting an inquiry to this astute forum for advice in my quest to select a good 3D CAD surface/solid modeller. Basically, the need is for a modeller which I can use to create complex contoured surfaces and sculpted organic forms that I can bring into MC for machining. Thus, I am not so interested in such high-end rendering capabilities or parametric and assembly features as say an Alias or Pro-E might have. I have been using Mechanical Desktop as a parametric modeller and currently use MC Design for surface and solid modelling, but these are limited in their scope relative to my needs. Say, for example, I need to model the wiskers on Santa's beard as well as the bulges in his cheeks and robe, plus the ability to freely manipulate surfaces, curves and control points. I've had recommendations for Rhino3D, 3D Studio Max, Powershape and Lightwave. Do any of you have expereince with these or any other modellers, and would you offer your advice to steer me in the right direction?

Thanks so much!! smile.gif

Phil Orenstein

I agree with 5ax.Rhino will do some pretty good surfacing and solids and at a pretty good price.It,s got some good converter options as well.Some times when I have trouble bringing a file into MC I'll bring it into Rhino and convert it to a mastercam .iges(it's got a plethera of .iges types) smile.gif

I'm encouraged that fellow MC users like Rhino. I've heard many good things about it, especially the price. But my major concern is it's ability to manipulate curves and surfaces to create free-form organic shapes. I know that Alias, Maya and 3D Studio are king when it comes to manipulating nurbs surfaces. But my question is what can Rhino do in this regard? And can you go from surface to solid modelling and back in the very same model?

Thanks for your advice! smile.gif

Phil Orenstein

I don't believe rhino is a solid sodeler. It is nurbs based with all kinds of surface tools. Goto www.rhino3d.com and look at some samples. I think you can also download a trial version that is only limited by 30 saves. As far as organic shapes go I use rhino to run my microscribe to collect data off of peoples feet (a cast of their feet) and recreate the shape for custom ankle foot orthotics (braces). biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Rhino is now out of beta testing for 2.0, upgrade for 1.1 to 2.0 is free if downloaded from Mcneal. or 35bucks for a cd upgrade from your local dealer. Rhino interface is very autocad like in its structure & you can create your own custom work space. Unlimited undos & redo fron your last file save. Unlimited veiwport creation . Just plain out packed tools All for 1K But the surface filleting is very poor frown.gif

I think Rhino is great, especially as a complement to Mastercam. At DVDirect Rhino can be bought for $568.

http://www.dvdirect.com/shop/Product.asp?sku=RMN2004

Also, Rhino has a newsgroup/forum comparable to this one, many very helpfull people.

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.e...ver&group=rhino

BerTau smile.gifsmile.gif

This page from the Rhino newsgroup covers several points about discount dealers.

http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.e...tem=65601&utag=

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: BerTau ]