Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drill sorting question

PeterM

Is there a way to turn off drill sorting in mx ? I pick my points in the order that I want and get something else every time. I didn't find a (turn off drill sorting) option in the sort options field. Thanks

Peter Martin

mcam 3... - x - mill level 3

Senior Programmer/Milling Supervisor

Preci Mfg.

400 Weaver St. Winooski VT 05468

email [email protected]

From help

Follow these steps to turn off point sorting for an existing toolpath.

In the Toolpath Manager, click the Geometry icon for the toolpath.

Mastercam opens the Drill Point Manager. The Sort state should be On. If it is Off, the points are already unsorted and you do not need to complete this procedure.

Right-click in the window and choose Sort options.

Mastercam displays the Sorting dialog box. The button for the current sorting method will be selected.

Click it to turn it off. Do not select any other sorting method.

Click OK to close the Sorting dialog box.

The Drill Point Manager should display the Sort state is Off. Click OK to return to the Toolpath Manager.

Regenerate the toolpath.

Thad, thanks for the quick responce, but let me clarify, I know how to re -sort a drill cycle from an existing toolpath. I would however like to skip that step and get the points in the order that I selected them originally. Perhaps there is a setting that I overlooked.

Peter Martin

mcam 3... - x - mill level 3

Senior Programmer/Milling Supervisor

Preci Mfg.

400 Weaver St. Winooski VT 05468

email [email protected]

Steve, I tried your suggestion, no luck. John I followed your link and followed Rodger's instructions and according to my little status window point sorting is off, however my points do not come out in the order that I select them. Peter

from that link

quote:

The point method is just the cursor option at the top of the DPM. When you pick the center of the arc instead of the arc itself there is no predetermined labeling on it so it drills them in the order they were selected.

quote:

PeterM,

If you select Entities, the points will be sorted in the order that the geometry was created.

In other words if you click the entities box, then pick the points you will get what Steve wrote. If you use the autocurser and turn on only the points you will get the order you selected.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

apparently if you make sure none of the sorting methods are depressed it should turn sorting off.

That would be awesome if it let you choose "none", but what I just found is that if you choose the one in the lower left corner on the 2D sort page (Point-to-Point), it uses your "click order", but forces you to additionally choose your start point. It would make sense for this option to be the default, but it's not. Go figure. headscratch.gif

Hope this helps avoid more hair pulling. At least we're saving on barber bills!!! LOL