Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Just got a Makino V55 w/fanuc control

RandleXX

If they cut graphite on it without a vaccume that could be bad. We run an SNC64 here with and I wouldn't trade it for the world for the small work we do. Randall all I can say is you got yourself one fine piece of equipment IF if was taken care of. The maintenance on them is minimal. Keep the spindle oil fresh and the grease fittings greased every 1000 hours. I have watched the one run at Auburn Hill, MI in the show room and it is truley amazing the finishes and tolerances the mahcine will hold. Make sure you understand how the SUPER GI.3 works, and run it in High Accuracy mode (M250 G5P10000) and watch the thing fly. I would love to have one right beside our other machine.

It's a small world RandleXX. The machine was used to cut graphite with a very poor vacuum system, when we first saw the exposed ball screw on the top of the machine, we tried to tell our bosses that this shouldnt be used to cut graphite, but what can you do, they say make the trode and it sure makes a nice cloud of dust. You should have the x axis ball screw replaced 15K, and for 20-25K you can get it converted to an oil based lubrication system from makino. other wise i would just recomend you go thru and vacuum out t the spindle chiller on the side of the machine, and open up the back of the machine and clean out all the fans. The machine has not been run in over a year now. If you have any more questions email me

Obiviously you haven't ran a Makino with SGi active. I have test ran a path for a guy on this forum testing our Makino against his ROKU and our machine decimated his machine time on the exaxt same path. Roku Roku could not match the Makino on any of the test paths that I sent them. They blamed it on the toolpath, but the makino still beat them at a minimum of 10% of cycle time. I will say that all of our paths are very small movememts generally within a 1" cube.

the glass scales I think thats what they are called in the machine we have are out so they have been turned off in the controller and just using the axis encoders now instead of both.. to expensive to repair at present time.. the finsh isnt that much different but when the scales were on it would leave jerky finish in y axis..

I don't know your situation, but glass scales generally go out and fail, or get bad read sections and error out. The problem you are describing sounds more like a ball screw or thrust bearing problem. I am no machine service technician JM2C.