Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing DXF from Solidworks 05

The Fastmill

I agree but it is an Autocad translator and there could be issues, I don't know. Myself, I've never done a dxf out of SW, only an IGES on the couple of occasions I needed only wireframe.

The Fastmill,

Is it just one file? Or is it any DXF file that you save from SolidWorks?

One not-very-well-known feature in X is the DXFRescuer C-Hook. It's an alternate way of reading in DXF files if File/Open fails with them. Lots of software products can output DXF, not everyone outputs valid DXF data (I'm not saying SolidWorks isn't...). The 'rescuer' will try to work around some of the non-standard stuff that might pop up. Try that and see what happens.

And, like John (above) said - send the file(s) to [email protected]. Feel free to cc: me ([email protected]) since QC's going to pass it over to me anyway.

Steve,

------

"...File, Convert, PreV9DXF ...."

------

That's a little misleading, because in V9 it wasn't available under the File/Convert menu. In V9, this was only available via Config's Toolbar/Keys setup, or via the F10 function (which let you run any Mastercam function).

It's really only meant to be used as a last resort. It doesn't support all the entity types, either - it's limited to simple 2D stuff - points, lines, arcs, notes, etc.

The DXF's out of Solidworks 2005 seemed to work good for us, but since we have upgraded to Solidworks 2006 the DXF's are terrible, missing line segments and that kind of thing. We had to increase the chain tolerance until we could work with it. The translator needs some work.