Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MR2 limited user accounts

bbrown01

Has anyone had problems running (not installing) MR2 using a limited (non administrator) account?

I'm trying to help update 20+ classroom systems currently running MR1 to MR2. The systems run Windows 2000. The update installs and runs fine using the administrator account.

When using a student account MR2 launches fine, but when you select File Open, I get an installation dialog saying..

"Please wait until Windows configures Matercam Maintenance Release 2"

Then I get an "Installshield error #5" dialog.

After I cancel the File Open dialog appears and things proceed. This only happens when you first log in. It also happens during other fuctions (e.g. working with levels).

I believe the only restriction the student accounts have is they can't write to the system registry. They do have read-write access to the C: drive.

It appears that MR2 requires access to to the system that MR1 didn't.

I got that same error, only the first time MR2 was started after install by IT.

When asking a question about it I was told that it was completing the install for the user account. I have been running since without issue.

Verify your file directory structure that MR2 is using, there have been numerous complaints, particularly when doing side by side installs, that the file directory calls from the M@2 config have been incorrect. Redirecting to the proper directories has solved this issue for many.

The computer at my current job is totaly locked down. I can't even defrag the hard drive eek.gif

I don't know any of the install details, but MR2

has been completely troublefree.

The computer is an HP with an AMD FX4000 proccessor, a Quadro FX1400 video card and 2gig

of ram. I have NEVER experieiced a crash or lockup

and it totlay smokes the Intel machines the other programmers use, especially when running large custom tools in Verify.

John. I assumed it may be completeing the installation, but I think it may be trying to update the system registry as part of that process. I installed MR2 on top of MR1 using the c:macamx directory. Have you restarted (or logged off) your machine since upgrading? Does your user account have wrtie access to the registry?

Jay. The install was done from the mastercamx-mr2-web.exe located on the local (c:) drive. The school is DeAnza College, Cupertino CA.

I do not believe I have access to write to the registry, I have no install rights. Have to make a phone call to even get the smallest utility installed.

As far as logging off, yes, I have logged off, many, many, many times.

Did you uninstall MR1 before you did the upgrade?

If not, you might want to uninstall MR2 and try it again. If you search the forum several people have also had to do complete uninstalls and reinstalls to clear up some weird problems.

quote:

Brian did you let it follow thru at lest once and then restart?

Yes I did. I also have just completed an experiment on my own system (Dell M70 w/XP)creating and using a Windows XP "Limited" and "Administrator" user accounts. The Administrator account works fine, but I can't even get Mastercam X MR2 to even launch using the Limited account. I get a quick X splash screen (no license agreement) then nothing.