Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

operation defaults file won't stick

Jaz

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. I made a copy of Mill_Inch.DEFAULTS with a new name Fadal.DEFAULTS. Then I go through Machine Type - Machine Definition Manager - Edit the control definition - Operation Defaults - File and choose Fadal.DEFAULTS. Green check - save save save. . . . When I go back into the control definition the default operations file has defaulted back to Mill_Inch.default. Why won't it let me have a different ops default file?

Jaz,

You are on the right track but looks like you are changing it in the wrong location. Try opening your machine def, going into edit the control def and then into the "Files" topic. In the File Usage box select the default operation library and then select your file on the right. You can set both your .defaults file and .operations file from this screen if you want.

Anytime you go to the "Operation Defaults" topic in the control def it will edit the .defaults file. This will effect tool settings and default settings in new toolpaths that you create. Your .operations file will store any toolpaths that you export from the ops manager.

I believe you also have to set up a configuration for that with that file set to the mill operations defualts. SO that when you load your machine definition you also load a "special" configuration for that control that sets the operations as well. This will cause a configuration to load with that machine definition and it has the defualt files set in there as well.

I am still muddling through this myself and this was the only way I got it to stick. I am not saying it is the right way, just the redneck way I figured out. HTH

I had trouble the first time too, I changed in configuration, ops and still didn't fet it to stick. Pick the machine you want to set the default tool library for. Now you also have to go to machine definition page, open (edit general machine parameters)button up top of window, now pick tool/materials library, set file type to tool library, then go select the library you created. Save out to main page. Close

out of MCAM and re-open, now try it and see if itdefaults coreectly to your new default.