Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t aluminum roughing cutter suggestions

Chris Rizzo

I've been swearing by Destiny diamond back rougher cutters for years. I have yet to use anything better...however they are having big delivery problems and prices have gone through the roof. I can deal with one or the other, but not both. I'm ready to try something else.

.5 dia, 1.25 to 1.5 LOC, 3 flute, coated, and a corner radius .030-.050.

My tooling supplier is looking hard too. Apparently Hanita does'nt offer anything in that loc range (1" then jumps to 2") Data flute does'nt readily have coated cutters or a corner rad. Tried Helical Milling brand cutters, and they are worth as much as a pet rock. Anyone else with suggestions?

I don't know what your usage is but we were able to work with our supplier, where we gave them a list of our standard tooling that we would order regularly, they in turn agreed to stock a certain level. We ran into the same problem as you, this move was able to allieviate it for us and allows time for our supplier to restock and keeps us in tools.

I've found nothing better either.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Have you tried Dura Mill? I've had outstanding results over the years with them. They are phenominal on low horsepower machines, and if you've got high horsepower machines thay are that much more impressive. I believe thy have the LOC you need standard.

We just tested a cutter that SECO CARBOLOY makes, single flute. We were running at 7000rpms, 140ipm, and 13mm doc per pass. We ran it on min. of 300 parts (over 600 minutes in cut). We stop using it, because we ran out of parts. It looks like it still has another 300 parts in it yet.

cheers.gifcheers.gif

For aluminum roughing I'm using M.A.Ford series 135, I run a 1/2 dia. balls out on rpm and .04 per rev. at .4 depth of cuts. In my 15000 rpm spindle I'm roughing at 600 IPM in 7075 alum.....it only has a 5/8 loc with a .02 rad. though they do come in various lengths, already necked down. They are strictly a roughing tool. With those mat'l removal rates I gladly step down my pockets .4 at a time. I know this doesn't help you if you need the 1.25 - 1.5 l.o.c. just thought somebody might be interested.

mike

This is what we use for all of our large alumnium roughing jobs, it dosnt have the loc you may be after but it will get the material out in a hurry, it is only rated for 7000 rpm, but we max our spindles out with them (12000 rpm)and run our feeds around 450ipm, .350 doc with a 1.25 dia cutter and corner rads range from .008-.25 www.iscar.com/ecat/familyHDR.asp?fnum=1460&app=57&mapp=ML&GFSTYP=M&type=1〈=EN

Yeah, been having some problems with Destiny here as well. Poor delivery and high pricing. They still make a great tool (when they get to work). Seems like they like the "long lunch breaks" and the "banker's hours". wink.gif

Chris (and others here as well). I got hooked onto a company called NewTech. I haven't tried all their stuff across the board, but their Swift-Carb has been pretty impressive. I've sent a lot of customs their way as well with super quick turn arounds. Another company is GW Schultz . Their MSA series are really nice tools. ( The online catalog isn't working though ).

Anyway, just FYI... cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this forum, but not new to Destiny products. I agree with the gentleman above. If your distributor is stocking properly, you should not run out of tools. I am fortunate in that I am close enough to them to get what I need. If you are having delivery issues, you might want to let the factory know about it. There is nothing out there that can reduce cycle times like a Viper or Diamond Back.

DIA: ¾”

DOC: ¾”

WOC: ¾”

RPM:8000

CLPT:.023”

FULL DIAMETER 5 AXIS PLUNGE

Destiny Diamond Back Rougher DR34826R030S

or, how about this one:

10,000 RPM

CLPT: .010

IPM: 300!!

Slotting .500

Cutter: DR33210R030S

I think I will stick with a proven performer.

I'd like to stick with the proven performer too, IF I COULD GET THE DAM THINGS. Western Cutting Tool and Palm Abrasive (two of the larger west coast supply houses) each have 3 week lead times on cutters that used to be off-the-shelf. If I want to keep using Destiny, I need to change my feed rates to IPW. Inches Per Week!

Otherwise, I've got a nice looking tool from DuraMill, and it galled up after about 30 seconds at the identical feedrate I ran the Diamond Back rougher at. I had high hopes for it....looked just like a Destiny, end gash and all. I'm back to lot's of mill work here, so I'm pursuing everyone elses' suggetions now. Some Swift-Carbs are on their way.

I sure am looking foward to IMTS, I'm bringing a nice selection of various manufactures galled-up cutters to quiet their respective salesmen. biggrin.gif Although more importantly to talk to some engineers and maybe get an improved product.

• 2 weeks later...

Destiny prices have gone up.... but so has many others. Carbide price has jumped considerably and thats where it starts.

Chris, screw ordering Destiny from Western. You can buy them direct. I'd cut out the middle man on that one. Talk to Guy or anybody else that answers the phone there and get them direct.

Also for note: Dataflute's HVM and ALDH series rips it up too!!!

cheers.gif

"How about cleveland PM Plus list #538

cheaper then carbide and last for ever we run them in our cell for weeks. must be TiCN coated though.

Try them!"

Yup! Cleveland PM Plus roughers!

3/4" diameter, 12,000 rpm, 300+ ipm (faster if we had longer parts) set the tool life at 1,600 minutes.Regrind these tools by sharpening the gullet with minimal loss of diameter.All at a price of 55.84 dollars a piece.