Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Listing of file names in Windows Explorer

Thad

When I open a file, the folders are listed in this order.

fileopen.jpg

When I post a file, the folders are listed in this order.

post.jpg

Does anyone know how to the get them to be ordered the same way in both instances? This has been bugging me for a while and I'm finally getting around to asking about it. When there's a lot of items in the folder, it makes browsing a pain when your file is in the first row when opening and somewhere in the middle when posting.

Thad

[ 06-22-2006, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Thad ]

Thad, I just created a folder with a bunch of different named sub folders using random numbers, both my "open" and "save as" came up identical.

What happens if you go into

Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/ and select Apply to All Folders.? Will that make them open the same way?

This will make all folders open the same on your computer. Just a thought.

edit..never mind, when I tried posting it went in numerical order like yours did.

John,

Not sure if it makes a difference, but try posting, instead of save as. Ultimately, the dialog box will say save as when posting, but I'd like you to do exactly what I did and see what you get.

EDIT: I see your edit. biggrin.gif

Thad

Doing what Matt said will get you what you want as far as everything being listed the same way, just don't know what will change that you don't want to change.

[ 06-22-2006, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: John13 ]

thad,

both of those folders shown in your screenshot have an icon for selecting viewing style. i personally prefer the 'details' style, but they all will do what you want.

for example,if you have just posted the file into a folder and you want to select it for a copy or transfer or whatever, if you choose the details style and click the 'modified' header bar, you should have the most recent file modified at the top of the list and easily found. if you click it again, it will invert the list. or if it would be easier to search by a different method (name,type,size,etc.), then you have those options as well, just by clicking the header bar. also, right click while hovering on the header bar and lots more options are available.

mc doesent have the functionality to keep these the way you would like to see them YET, so you have to do it every time (pita). but at least it will allow you to see the files listed in a consistent manner.

sorry if this has already been covered.

bellup,

I'm concerned about the order that the folders are listed in. For example, when I open Det 101 folder, it's on the first page. When I post to the same folder, I have to side scroll over probably 2-3 pages to get to it.

Thad

Thad,

I am not completly sure about this, but I know that winXP has a different sort order. http://windowsxp.mvps.org/xpsortorder.htm

This bugged me for a while, because my order looks so much different. I have files that start with a 6 before files that start with a 1. I just started using the process that Belly up uses.

HTH

Glenn

P.S. I know that doesn't really help, but might explain it a little bit.

quote:

I'm concerned about the order that the folders are listed in

sorry if im being thick thad, but did you try using the details view? if i was trying to do what you are, i would use details and click on the 'name' header. that would arrange the order based on the name and unless the contents of the folder change, it should appear the same no matter where you open it from.