Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ANALYZE DYNAMIC??

Sem001

HOW'S IT GOIN I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YA GUYS i HAVE A TAPERED CONE SURFACE WITH CENTER BEIN X0Y0 AND WHEN I ALALYZE DYNAMICALLY I GET A NUMBER FOR MIN RADIUS OF CURVATURE BUT IF I CUT THE SURFACE ON AN AXIS SAY XO. CREATE A CURVE ON THE EDGE AND CHECK IT AS A POINT I GET A DIFFERENT NUMBER. ANYONE KNOW WHATS CAUSIN THIS AND WHY THESE 2 NUMBERS ARE DIFFERENT I KNOW THE SURFACE IS CENTERED ON XOYO SO THATS NOT THE PROBLEM AND THE CONE IS ROUND JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THE 2 NUMBERS WOULD BE DIFFERENT WHAT IS CAUSING THIS AND WHICH ONE SHOULD BE TRUSTED AS A GOOD DIAMETER

How much different ?????

.0002" or .050" ???

It could be the curve tolerance in your config is "rounding" or fitting slightly different than what the surface math calculates out to.

If the difference is very small(much less than the required Plus/Minus than forget it and pick witch ever one you want (flip a coin) ???

JM2C

I would trust the number you get if you cut the surface and put an curve on the edge.Just out of curiosity, is the number different if you create/curve/slice on the same plane that you cut the surface on(saves you the trouble of triming the surface then untriming).I would also check your tolerance in the config window to see what your maximum surface deviation is.Mine is set at .0001 and seems to work great for me.I used to get some pretty wierd looking splines on the edges of complex sufaces whenit was set at the default tolerance.

The 2 ways I am analyzing the surface are analyze/dynamic click on the surface and ya can move around on the surface with the mouse the second way which also gave me the correct number I cut the surface on the axis created a curve on the edge then created a line from the center to the curve I just created and then analyzed the length of the line to get my radius. My deviation is set at .0002 and as far as I can tell everything else seems just fine I even created a curve on the top and bottom of the surface analyzed to double check to see that both had the same centers which they did I just can't understand why that number deviates so much

When you do dynamic analyze, the value shown is the radius normal to the surface. this value is equal to the hypotenus of the triangle. if you go to a front or side view you should see the arrow pointing at an angle. I will put a file on the ftp site called "dynamic.mc8" so you can see.

hope this clarify's things for you. smile.gif

HEY CAMGUY,

WOW I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THANKS FOR THE HELP THAT CLEARS THINGS UP. ONE MORE QUESTION THOUGH IF IT IS A TAPERED CONE THAT IS CONSENTRIC WHY DOES IT TELL ME MIN (GUESSING MIN IS FOR MINIMUM) RADIUS OF CURVATURE AT THAT POINT THAT I AM ANALYZING HOW COULD I HAVE 2 OR MORE POSSIBLE RADIUS NORMAL TO THE SURFACE SAY A MIN AND A MAX?

SEM001, In this instance the radius on a cone is constant along the edge. If you sliced it on an angle the radius would vary, same as if you created a cone shape that looked like the "0" the radius would constantly be changing. I think the min. radius output is the smallest arc that could fit the surface at the cursor position. btw, sem, are you Jeff Rice at semtec ?