Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiplex

medaq

K sorry for this question, As it will be vague till I can get more specifics. Here it is saturday morning and I go check some parts off my 6100 y multiplex. Hmm that is weird it does not have the 4500 psi engraving on it, hmm I told the lathe man 2 weeks ago to put it on, as per requested by our customer. Hmm 1500 parts later this sucks xxxx, as now I will have to put it on a mill and add labor to this job to get the engraving done, that should be done on the machine that is making the whole part complete.

Seems we always have a problem with this machine everytime I ask for something simple to be done on it. We have eia, so I think to myself, why can I not type in 4500 and contour the part cutter comp off and off and get the nc code to follow what I just wrote and have it put on the parts with in 15 minutes? Why should this be a all day adventure?

Everytime I get the lathe guy out of mazatrol it becomes a huge problem. And all I get is complaints on why it is not possible. Granted one we have never tried to dial a post that functions well with the multiplex. Since the lathe man is highly skilled in mazatrol. But man everytime we want to do some basic milling it becomes a huge painful ordeal.

Maybe one of you has dealed with this and can guide me a little.

K post in mastercam it will generate x and y moves. He needs x to be z, which seems to be no big deal worse case search and replace and bam we are done. Or I asked him has he tried to change planes and see what results we get. Of course not here we are 3 years later and we dont know how to make it work efficiently on milling.

He says another problem is it post on radius and he needs dia. K might be a valid problem but my solution to engraving is just double your z height. Maybe someone has a better solution for me.

He says y always seems to be rotated. This one I dont have a answer for him. Seems eia should run what we have written.

Mastercam 8 with a multiplex 6100 y machine, Can anyone give me some pointers on where I should head to start solving this problem to do basic milling on this machine. It is a y axis machine we should be able to spit out mill type nc code and paste it in to run. I could really use some insight on this one, it is a major sore subject for my company and I really could use a solution.

Jim

you could post the code and add it in the manual input of the mazatrol or you could just get a post to handle it a multiplex is a pretty simple lathe to handle 2 spindles 2 turrets m function pretty simple maybe you should just tell the guy tough crap with using mazatrol sure its nice for turning but come on!

Is this engraving on a radius or flat surface? Face or Cross? Do you have enough Y travel to engrave or do you need to use polar interpolation? If your using in the G17 plane (Y,Z milling, X being your depth) draw and path your engraving in the back view. Do a contour, rotary axis Y, set planes to Back. You could start off with the Mplfan, just enable y axis near the top of the post. I think there is a mpltpls or something similair that is a mazak lathe post that you could use. We do not use mazatrol(except transfer) on our Multiplex's so i dont know what you would need as far as code to use as a sub from mazatrol. Probably just need the guts and not the tool call or work offsets.

4500 psi would take one page of code.

I did this for years in Smartcam and left it to the contracter to substitute the "Y" to "Z" conversion. He was estatic that I could even do this.

Now dealing with the operator is a whole different issue. Running 1500 pcs incomplete means that HE gets to run them all (as in 4500pcs) on a secondary machine tool - but that's just my own thoughts. cheers.gif

quote:

maybe you should just tell the guy tough crap with using mazatrol sure its nice for turning but come on!

Using the mazatrol is not our problem for lathe work. He actualy kicks xxxx with turning and minor milling operations.

quote:

Is this engraving on a radius or flat surface? Face or Cross?

Flat surface and cross. This is why I am having trouble comprehending getting mastercam to spit out some simple code we can paste in. With out have to make it a big ordeal everytime.

quote:

Do you have enough Y travel to engrave or do you need to use polar interpolation?

We have plenty of y travel to do the job.

quote:

We do not use mazatrol(except transfer) on our Multiplex's so i dont know what you would need as far as code to use as a sub from mazatrol. Probably just need the guts and not the tool call or work offsets.

We really just need to figure out how to get mastercam to post a basic 2d mill area with code that works for the multiplex doing simple stuff as engraving 4500 psi. So just getting the guts to paste in to our mazatrol would be ideal for us.

Atm we are going to try and post a basic xy move cut, and change the planes to see if anything comes close to what we need.

quote:

Now dealing with the operator is a whole different issue. Running 1500 pcs incomplete means that HE gets to run them all (as in 4500pcs) on a secondary machine tool - but that's just my own thoughts.

Back when I was learning you made a major screw up like this, you fixed it on your time. I wish Other people had the same work ethics as I did...

Jim