Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid/Boolean insert

stevieboy

Hello all

I have a solid that has a rib on top, I need to make a insert for that rib, so I can shim the rib up if need be, what I need is a slot and the insert. When I try to do a Boolean, the target body and the tool body are the same, since the rib part is part of the soild.

How do I seperate the rib?

Hope this make sense.

Thanks

First extrude a new solid in the desired shape of your insert and make it tall enough to enclose the rib completely.

Then you can do a BOOLEAN COMMON REGIONS NA(keep target and tool). This will yield a third solid which you can now call your new insert and perhaps move to a new level. Then simply BOOLEAN REMOVE the solid you created in step 1 from the original solid.

Hope this helps. cheers.gif

Ooooohhhhh... I guess you're getting a little private help from Kannon ?

quote:

Ooooohhhhh... I guess you're getting a little private help from Kannon ?

I dont think I was much help... frown.gif

tired of asking everyone to save it as version 9 and email me, so I fired a email to Stevieboy directly and also mentioned possibly putting it on the ftp.

Hello again ya'll

Well I was able to recreate the rib (solid) using a soild sweep, Did the Boolean Common Region Na

And got the dreadful: Parasolid ® Kernel Interface Error: Boolean Error:Face Imprinting Operation Error

I'll Keep trying

[ 07-14-2006, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: stevieboy ]

The face imprinting error is usually due to a common face used by both solids in the boolean operation. I would make your solid for the insert longer than the part solid. The newly created insert solid will have it's lenght limited by the part solid anyway. It is never good for solids that will be used in boolean operations to be exactly the same size.

Oh yea...

Matt, that is what I was trying to do.

That way I pull out the inserts and also have the slots for them.

But...Anyway, I need to go back and change the ends of the inserts, after a little more thought, I don't want the ends of the insert running outside of the main block it would make the block weak in that area, so I'm doing to shorten-up the insert at least 1/4 in. so the inserts will be enclosed with-in the block.

Thanks again Matt!

Hello all

LaszloK, I added .001 to the face of my insert and Boolean perfect.

Thanks again!

Matt,

Kannon,

I got it... thanks... cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

Oh.. there is one more thing I don't quite understand about Boolean...You have to recreate the geometry.. It seems to me that, If I did a Boolean remove and used the top view of the insert bountry with a depth of say .695

I would have thought that it would have pulled the insert out of the main block leaving a slot.. and the insert with its geometry.

recreating the geometry?? is it just the nature of the beast??