Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ftp site

tm311

Most of the time I get right in to the FTP site with IE6. IE5 worked for me too. My point is that if the site is working (which it does for the most part) and I can get in with IE, nobody else should have a problem. It has to be either your internet connection (firewalls, proxy programs, lousy isp) or a setting on your local box that changed for whatever reason. wink.gif

A couple of the above would keep "cute" FTP from working also.

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: JAMMAN ]

I have tried the cute ftp trial version,and i had no problems getting in.We use bulletproof at work

to communicate w/our unix based controls,so i figured id give that a try since its already registered.I have no luck getting in W/ie5,but i will look into jammans suggestions.Thanks for the

replies.

Well do you have a firewall at home and is your internet controlled by a sever say like Win2K server.

Allot of companies will give you the internet but block FTP's and other certain thing like this.

That is why I made this comment.

There is usually a difference when come to home internet and company unless it is a small company without a MIS.

I want to help so if you still have trouble we can go over a few things..

JM2C

After playing around with some settings in Cute FTP Pro 2.0, I've made some discoveries.

Discovery #1

Those of you behind a hardware firewall that appends a comma to the end of your IP will have trouble connecting to IIS-based FTP servers (Unix-based FTP servers should be fine). In other words, servers using NT security check your IP each time you change directories. If it sees 111,111,111,112,, you won't get a directory listing. If it sees 111,111,111,111 it will be fine. The only solutions to this "extra comma" problem are to either get a new firewall without this "feature" or pray that a firmware upgrade will get rid of the problem.

Discovery #2

Use these settings in the FTP client of your choice:

Username: mastercam

Password: forum

Host: www.ppcadcam.com

Port: 21

Protocol: FTP

Host Type:Windows NT

Data Connection Type: PORT

Transfer Type: Auto-detect is a safe bet

Remote Folder: /Mastercam forum (browser users need %20 for the space)

Retry Timeout: 60 seconds or more if needed

Good morning,

My settings at home are as follows-os/win98,ie6

now.Ie5 didn't work.Bulletproof still is not working,I see in bullines post that the remote directory is/mastercam forum,maybe thats the problem,i may not have my path to the remote dir.

correct.Mine is showing up as just a /.I will

try some new settings when i get home.I downloaded ie6 at work,i still cant get in.I have to assume its a setting,or a firewall.I will talk to our IT man today.

quote:

I see in bullines post that the remote directory is/mastercam forum,maybe thats the problem,i may not have my path to the remote dir

If you don't have anything set for the remote directory, you should still be able to connect fine. The only difference is that you'll be one subdirectory up from the forum directory. However, if you have a value for the remote directory that is incorrect (Ex: /Masterkam foorume), then your FTP client should return an error in retrieving the directory listing.

quote:

I downloaded ie6 at work,i still cant get in.I have to assume its a setting,or a firewall.I will talk to our IT man today.

Sounds like "Discovery #1" could be affecting you. It definitely sounds like a problem relating to your network/firewall settings and not anything concerning your FTP client. Mention this to your IT pro.

Good news,(ftp-is connecting)

I discovered,or should i say we discovered that

it was a few settings 1)in the firewall sec. of the ftp software,2)and putting a correct path in the remote dir sec, this being(/mastercam forum).

This makes me believe,as does bullines,that my problem getting on a work via(win nt sp6,ie6)that

it is some kind of firewall setting on our network.I will look more into it tommorrow.

Thanks Guys

I have had problems with accessing too, when sitting at home with linux. I have been using a program called gftp and it has never worked with this ftp. I have had no problems with any other ftps though. I also had no problems when using my windows ftp program with ppcadcam ftp. I haven't bothered very much with it until last night when I first saw this thread. The discussion here got me to try another ftp program for linux, ncftp. It connected and told me that PASV mode was not working and it was reverting to PORT mode. It hit me that the last thing that gftp prog did was sending PASV... and then nothing. I don't know what the difference is and the gftp program doesn't have any option for choosing PASV or PORT mode.

Well.. long rant there.. I hope you understand what I'm trying to tell you. At least I'm happy now when I'm able to connect from linux too (where I do most of my surfing). The ftp is a great learning resource. A very good way of learning is to look at other peoples work. Of course, checking this forum out also helps a lot. I'm trying to get here once a day if I can. It's great.

Mats

More info.

PASV apparently means "Passive data transfer". Found a gftp option for that and now it works smile.gif

From the gftp FAQ:

"Go under FTP-&gtOptions and turn off passive file transfers. Instead of sending the PASV command to open up the data connection on the server side, the data connection will be opened up on the client side, and the PORT command will be sent to the server instead."

Maybe useful info for some people... I'm just glad it works

Mats

You are right sir,

I am using Win2k server and I use port command, being port 21

Passive might have worked if it was setup for Anonymous.

Because this used for my company along with you nice folks I have implemented full security with passwords & limitations.

But I do want every one to be able to share.

I do better my self seeing the files then, trying to figure it out with out seeing the shape.

So this was one of the reasons I put this together, to help me and others.

I would say you are first when it came to Linux issues so this is good news that you were able to work it out and share.

So I will say thank you for your info.

Well this is long enough .