Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC with Mastercam.

Ying Jiang

-- This is a loooooong message, hope it helps.

Many of our Mastercam customers ask about DNC with Mastercam. I've seen quite a few DNC topics on this forum as well. For everyone out there who is wondering about the same thing, here is my 2 cents:

If you have a one or two CNC machines. You can do DNC with your Mastercam computer. "Old fashion" "File --> Next menu --> Communic" has helped a lot in the past (Back in older versions of Mastercam, I always set it to DOS communications mode). Ever since CIMCO Edit (CNC-Edit in Mastercam v7) came on board, it made DNC in Mastercam even better. If your CNC sends out XOn character when you press "Read", "Cycle start", etc..., then be sure to turn on "Wait for XOn" under "Transmit" in CIMCO Edit DNC setup (Transmission -->DNC Setup -->Setup), This way you can send your NC codes from the Mastercam computer first, then walk to CNC to press the button. (Rather than set CNC to read file, then walk to PC to send file, then walk back to CNC).

If your have more CNC's than your PC COM ports and you don't do simultaneous NC file transfer, you could use CIMCO Edit with switch boxes. This is not the best solution but a very low cost solution. The CIMCO Edit in Mastercam is a standard OEM version. You can also purchase as standalone, full version of CIMCO Edit (Professional Edition - includes math functions, G codes backplot and can be upgrade to up to 6 simultaneous DNC connections).

CIMCO Edit can be set as the default Mastercam file editor by: "Screen -- > Configure --> Start/Exit --> (select CIMCOEDIT under Editor)" (Besides DNC, CIMCO Edit is also very helpful to CNC programmers for file editing, check out the "NC Functions" and "File Compare" if you haven't.)

However, if you are looking for a real DNC system that can network your entire CNC shop floor, you should consider a DNC software not only allows you to do multi ports simultaneous DNC transmission, but also give you "remote request" and "auto receive" functions so that the operators can send and receive NC files right at CNC without walking back and forth (Time is money!). In this case, CIMCO's DNC-Max is my DNC software of choice. Many of our customers love the fact that DNC-Max checks the header and footer of received file and sends out message to CNC based on real situation.

Not to mention all the powerful things DNC-Max can do. To me, it just works.

In terms of DNC cable, if the distance between CNC and PC is less than 50ft, then a regular shielded RS-232 cable will do the job. However, if there is a lot nose interference or the distance is a few hundred feet away, then it is the best to choice a double shielded, low capacitance RS-232 cable. RS-422 hardware are very good for longer distance.

All DNC cables should be be routed away from noise sources such as arc welders, transformers, fluorescent lights, etc. And all CNC machines should be ground properly.

Many of Mastercam dealers do DNC service, contact your local Mastercam dealer if you need help.

For Canadian customers, if you are looking for good DNC solutions, send your request to me and I'll be gald to help.

--

Ying Jiang

In-House Solutions Inc.

http://www.inhousesolutions.com

mailto:[email protected]

"(Rather than set CNC to read file, then walk to PC to send file, then walk back to CNC)".

Would that be awesome,Sometimes after a long day... I Stay in my chair (Has wheel's) and just "paddle my feet, like Fred Flinstone" too and from machines.... biggrin.gif

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Tony ]