Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotating a SolidWorks part

peteruttrup

How do I Rotate a part in Mastercam?

When I bring in a Solidworks part into Mastercam it orientates differently. It is rotated in a way so my top (In SW) becomes the back (in Mastercam).

How do i rotate the part in Mastercam?

I been playing with rotate and move commands but i cannot figure out how to rotate 90 degrees along the x axis.

So for now i am rotating my parts in Solidworks. Quite annoing if you ask me.

Regards

Pete firebounce.gif

You can output a solidworks file with a reference coordinate attached to the part that will bring it in the your desired orienation.

Then why rotate a part in MC, leave it where it is and create a new WCS

In SW front is top in MC. If you have a "zero" point in SW that you'd like to maintain, create two lines (x & Y) in MC at that "zero". after that it depends what version MC you're running.

if V9 choose translate all entities/between views/ entity. then chose the two (axis) lines

you created already at the "zero". accept the appropriate axis designation (will show in preview V9 or VX) then click "save" then "rotate".

if VX go to WCS manager and click "geometry" button on left. it will prompt you "entity, two lines or 3pts" basicly it's getting you to define

a plane. two lines works best for me. accept appropriate axis (in preview) and click green check. in following dialoge box be sure "associative, set new origin and set wcs" (that's three different boxes) are checked. then commence programming. *****if it didn't work than check to make sure your tool/construction plane was set to top first.*****

this is how you get from "plane coordinates" to MC WCS(world coordinate system).

H2H

I solved this problem by creating a SolidWorks template in which the xy table and the "a" rotation axis of my CNC machine are shown explicitly as SolidWorks objects. It took about 30 minutes draw them in SolidWorks. I start every SolidWorks drawing with this template, which eliminates all confusion about xyz orientation and alerts me to the possibility of a tool collision with the xy table or a-axis using the VERIFY simulation tool in MasterCAM. I also find it useful to draw in my backing material as a SolidWorks object as well.

I usually pick a point on the model that I want to be the machining origin, and then translate "all entities" to Mastercam's WCS origin, then alt-7, alt-F1 for isometric view. For VMCs, most solidworks models then need to be rotated -90 deg. on the right plane (click Planes button at bottom of screen) and sometimes +/-90 deg. on the top plane to orient the part how it needs to be on the machine table--make sure you get back to the top plane before laying out your machining operations. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

I never rotate SW files any more.

Just create reference systems in SolidWorks

and use them when you Save As a parasolid.

You can make a solid land in any orientaion you want.

In some models I may have a dozen different reference systems to contol the models landing

. You can also contol the oreintatin of IGES and

SW STL files this way.