Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mahogany Feed Rate

Todd Wertz

check out this link

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/CNCM...ing_Curved.html

Advice on bit choice, feed speeds, RPMs, and pre-roughing blanks. May 22, 2006

Question

We have a customer that wants us to machine a quantity of African mahogany. Looking for info about feeds, speeds, tooling, milling, etc. We will be using an AXYS table with vacuum hold down.

Forum Responses

(CNC Forum)

From contributor J:

Don't be afraid of African. I run the same as most other hardwood (white oak, genuine mahogany, cherry). I suppose it depends on what you are doing to material. Cutting, shaping, mortising?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the original questioner:

We are a Corian shop, not a wood shop, so we are pretty green about cutting wood. The pieces will be 1 1/2" thick with 24" arcs for window jambs. They will then be glued up to 7 1/2" thick by customer. There will be 200 pieces or more. Tried a sample with our 2 flute spiral bit, but I don't see that lasting long at all. It was seaming from the beginning at .5" deep pass, 150 ipm.,18000 rpms conventional cut.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From contributor J:

I use .5" diameter 2 flute 15,000rpm 170 ipm but only .25" deep pass. You should be able to push feed to 200ipm depending on your hold down capabilities.

I would cut your speed in half and go from there with the same feed rate

I like to use 3 flute coarse roughers. I have run them on mills at 8k-10k removing 1" or more per depth at 150-300 inches per minute and have never really seen any splintering unless there was already stress in the wood.

On a HAAS SS, I cut a fully crowned guitar body with a 3 flute, 3/8 rougher at 10k going 400 ipm and the body came out beautiful.

These end mills are just standard bits. For deep pocketing, I use a flat 3 flute rougher and finish with a flat, 3 flute downcut highspeed bit.