Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Increasing cycle time

pete mcadams

Hi Folks

I need to increase the number of parts in the machine. The part is a 0.625 square bar 15 inches long with 6 taped holes in it. I run the in batches of about 1000 on a machine without an operator. I want to fill up the table and let it run for 2-3 hours.

I need some ideas for holding 40-50 parts without taking to long to change the parts out.

What I am thinking about doing is a plate with locating slots and a bar to clamp over the top.

Thanks

Pete

Make a base plate to fit on the machine, and two fixtures to hold the parts. Load up one fixture, attach it to the base plate, then let it run. While that one is running someone can load and unload the second fixture. The only downtime is the length of time to change out fixtures. If you use locating pins and De Staco clamps, you're talking only a couple of minutes.

quote:

Make a base plate to fit on the machine, and two fixtures to hold the parts

+10000

That allows you to compensate for the longer change over times part to fixture, which could take some time with alot of parts on a fixture.

Slapping another loader fixure on the table when the cycles is done will be much quicker than changing parts out in the machine.

At least that's what I've found generally works, there are always exceptions however.

We have made a similar fixture for round parts, but it should work for square parts with a little modification. On the fixture plate, we created our own clamps that would spread out in both directions to clamp the parts. The clamps are located in between the parts. As you would tighten the screw the clamps would spread out (and down for the round parts). Being that the parts are square, just spreading out would work fine (like mini vises). On the ends of the plates have pins for the parts to push against. I can see it in my head perfectly, describing it is a whole other mess!

Edit: I guess what I just described are Mitee Bites, but more expensive!