Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post output of cir interpolation

Bob W

MPFAN.PST, "out of the box", is generating 2 blocks for a 360° arc. (I'm interpolating a spotface). My machine only needs one block for 360° interpolation, and most troubling is that the "I" for the second block is .0001 off!

"breakarcs" is set to "no" in the post. I'm using Countour(2D) to interpolate the holes.

My post CD is on its way from our dealer, but I was wondering if anyone can point me to how I can get it to just give me one block for a complete 360° arc?

I have since found "Circ tlpths" which works much snappier than Contour for interpolating simple spotfaces. But it is still outputing two G03 blocks. One for each 180° of the spotface - which confirms to me that it's comming from the post. "breakarcs" is set to "no" in the post as I noted earlier.

Hmmmm... What's up with that?

Not being able to code a 360° circle in a single block was only one of my concerns. Take a look at this snippet of code:

N3G0G90G54X5.4Y-.5A0.S3056M3

N4G43H4Z1.M8

N5Z.1

N6G1Z-.3F5.

N7G41D4X5.6212

N8G3X5.1788R.2212

N9X5.6212R.2211

N10G1G40X5.4

N11G0Z1.

This is as coded with MPFAN.PST with "breakarcs" set to "no". Note that the "R" in the second G3 block is .0001 less than the first 180° segment. If it is set to output Is & Js, it gives similar results. Again, what's up with that?

Our old programming system may have gone off the market 3 years ago, but at least it can code a 360° circle in a single block and get the arc center right every time. tongue.gif

One more time Camtech,

Are you using V9 or V8?

this was not supported in V8, as the other folks have been saying.

V9 this was made possable.

I am sorry that we have it now and not 2 years ago.

But this will help you with this thought.

We all want to help you,but this all we can do.

quote:

"R" in the second G3 block is .0001 less

What is the actual radius of the arc in the geometry, and what size tool are you using? If the toolpath radius ends up with more than 4 decimal places, you're getting a post rounding error. These have shown up before and have been covered in this forum as well.

As others have said, v9 allows for single output of 360 degree arcs. If you aren't going to update, you may want to have someone look at your post and add the required buffering code to get the output for you in v8 as well as fix the rounding error.

Cadcam,

Thanks for your reply. I am using V8. I can live with Mastercam outputting max 180° arcs for now, if need be. What troubles me is that it isn't correctly calculating arc centers as shown in the code I posted. I will be talking to my dealer about this and I will search the forum for posts on this as suggested.

I intended the gentle jab at Mastercam in my previous post to be in fun, that was the reason for the smiley. Forgive me, I am going through the trials and tribulations of learning a new system after many years in the business. I appreciate the help and insight from you and others.

BTW, my name is Bob and I am a SmartCAM user. Is there a 12 step program for me? biggrin.gif

Bob,

Welcome to Mastercam from another EX-Smartcam user. The "Twelve Step" program for weening Smartcam out of your system would probably start off as something like this:

"1. Replace lower jaw in proper position.

2. Acknowledge there is a higher form of programming.

3. Place Smartcam and all other programming applications on shelf or in "circular" recycle bin.

4. Use Mastercam liberally and often.

5. Replace the question "Can I do this?" with the affirmative statement "I can Do this".

6. Confidently send programs to machine, not questioning if the clearance plane, profile top, depth level or sequence of entities are correct. No longer concern yourself with extended lists of entities or "Grouping" to change the order and direction of travel. (See Step 12)

7. Make ammends with previous customers lost from poor file conversions, processing time, and part change turnovers.

8. Accept updated file conversions, rapid parameter adjustments and toolpath associativity as the norm rather than the exception.

9. Enjoy the priviledges of an ever-expanding network of individuals, dedicated to the constant improvement of CAM applications.

10. Gain confidence in abiltiy of software to accomplish tasks asked of it without the use of expletives and lengthy "workarounds".

11. Become productive as a vital member of workforce and generally more cheerful. May also have positive feedback towards other employees (they may be wary of what has changed, but they'll be happy).

12. Enjoy lots of time concerned with other matters, not babysitting the machine. (i.e. staring at SI swimsuit calendar on wall)" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

From one EX-Smartcam user to another, let's Move Forward!! biggrin.gif Keep in mind Bob, nothing's perfect. smile.gif Mastercam's the best there is for now.

[ 02-08-2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

Peter,

ROTFLMAO!!! Amen, brother, amen.

This morning I wanted change the periphery of the tooling I'm progamming. So I used TRANSFORM/STRETCH to move the wireframe, regen'ed the tool paths and BAM! Done! Rough and finish passes, corner edge breaks and all - done in 2 secs. How cool is that??? cool.gif

You guys haven't seen a krispy cream calender, huh? eek.gif

I got a question. How do you get a die hard Hurco machinist to see the light ? He thinks Hurco is the best way. I have no other machine (NC) to prove otherwise. Two in the wherehouse (VF3 and cincinnati) waiting for our new machine shop to be finished. He would love to give these away for another Hurco. This is a tough nut to crack.

Big meeting in 2 weeks with all the higher ups to discuss updating the shop. rolleyes.gif

Finecut

quote:

I got a question. How do you get a die hard Hurco machinist to see the light ? He thinks Hurco is the best way.

A psychologist has been told all the way thru his education,that you

really can't cure or fix your patients, only help them feel a little better.

He finally gets a job at a insigne asylum and his opportunity comes

when a patient says he is dead. The doctor thinks at last someone

to save.He meets with the patient and asks are you dead , the man

says ,yes been dead for years. The doctor Immediately leans forward

and jabs his pen into the man's hand. With blood spurting out the man

jumps to his feet and shouts WOW dead people really do bleed !!

Every man is entitled to his own opinion, but

no man is entitled to his own facts.

[ 02-07-2002, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

quote:

The real question: Is Krispy Kreme a more functional and fully associative donut than Winchell's?

camtech,good question,I say every one must go get one of each ,then pass in there report.

but you must test at least 10 of each. tongue.gif

[ 02-07-2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Bob,

I'm up for a taste testing here in the East. I've heard so much about the Krispy Kremes but nothing about Winchell's. We're being overrun by a donut shop called Dunkin' Donuts, which used to be known for donuts but now seems to be known for their coffee. What's a donut lover to do? frown.gif I can't drink coffee either. rolleyes.gif

quote:

ROTFLMAO!!!

??? I can get the first part "Roll on the Floor" but what's the rest mean? Glad you like my "twelve steps" for Smartcam Users Anonymous. I've even thought of a couple better steps since yesterday but I think you get the idea. Hope this string has helped you out with the arc output problem. Marc_Lindsey's indicated thread has a long discussion on the same issue. smile.gif Gotta love that Associativity! cool.gif

Hi Bob

Peter wrote

"I'm up for a taste testing here in the East." OK and we could call it ,"The Windchill Factor"

quote:

I've even thought of a couple better steps since yesterday but I think you get the idea.

Peter- Could you edit them in anyway?

[ 02-08-2002, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Scott,

quote:

Peter- Could tou edit them in anyway?

Check out the edited list. There may be more depending on input from others who have been converted or have "seen the light". My associate Paul also has something to say, which seems to be his favorite pastime as well. biggrin.gif

Another Step which I just thought of is ease of editing code with Cimco Edit OEM, instead of Notepad or Smartcam's built in DOS editor. I'm sure there are plenty of other "Steps" those who are familiar with different cam systems could produce. smile.gif Feel free to add to the list, although it could hardly be called "twelve steps" with many more additions. biggrin.gif

BerTau,

Thanks for the clarification on the quote. I'd seen it before and just couldn't make the connection. I must have been tired this morning for not figuring it out. Must have been the late night staring at chicks on the internet. biggrin.gif

[ 02-08-2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

I posted to this thread earlier about setting arc output to 3. I was wrong, 2 is the correct setting for R negetive output and this will not do a 360 deg arc either. Sorry for sticking my foot in my mouth. I had never tried to get a single block program line on a circle contour before. But you can using R-, do a 359.9999 arc in one program block. biggrin.gif I just had to try.

--

Buzz

[ 02-11-2002, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Buzz Lightyear ]