Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Slot with side cuts from single line geometry?

Hugh.Venables

Thanks Guys.

James, I don't follow why you would use project.

Kenneth, I was hoping to avoid creating extra geometry. Using cutter comp. is a good solution. If I create a 0.008" cutter I will get my 0.004" sidecuts.

Glenn, I see, 'wait' allows me to select the same entity twice in one operation. There are 15 chains in the job. If I reverse the direction I have noticed in the past that the direction of each chain reverses but not the order in which the chains are done. This leads to a lot of unintended rapid moves. Any solution to this?

Fred, is it just 'wait' that won't work unless the splines are broken to arcs?

Hugh Venables.

Arrggghhhhh!!!!!!

Glenn, as an often frustrated computer semi illiterate, I have been living in constant fear since I joined the forum that sometime I would need to access the FTP site. Sure enough, I have tried right and left clicking on "centrelineslot.mc8", the file symbols to the right and the question mark symbol to the left. None of the pop up menus contain "copy to folder" but I really only wanted to have a look which I think I should be able to do without copying to folder. The best I got was a row of letters and symbols across the top of the page. This is a bare bones PC set up to just use MC, maybe it needs some more software loaded to be able to look at the FTP site. What does FTP stand for? How is it different to a web site? What do I do next? Who am I? Why am I here?..........

The job is the base of a sundial in 1/8" copper. I intend to do it with a tapered d-bit. Because copper is so filthy to machine I thought my best shot would be to rough it out and then climb side cut both sides to finish.

Kenneth, what I meant about the extra rapid moves was this. When you plan a job with a lot of features, you select the features in some logical sequence so that the finish point of one is close to the start point of the next. If you then reverse the chaining direction the sequence doesn't reverse so you can get an illogical sequence in terms of finish and start points and the rapid moves to get from one feature to the next.

Thanks. Hugh Venables.

Thanks Jay,

You're an absolute treasure as is the entire eMastercam site.

I thought I would be able to look at a file on the FTP site without downloading it. I now presume this is not so. What had me fooled was that when I right clicked on the file name I didn't get a "copy to folder..." option in the pop up menu as per the FTP instructions. I had (among others) "save link as..." . I thought "link" meant a link to the site, I didn't realise it meant a link to the file. Maybe that's a Netscape thing. Designed to confuse computer dummies like me?

However, it hasn't finished with me yet. If I click the file you sent me, Mastercam opens and opens the file. Great. I can also save it in the Mc8 folder and re-open it OK. But if I save the file from the FTP site to the MC8 folder, (using Netscape), then open Mastercam and open the file I get "Incompatible version numbers. Run Mc8 file converters". I don't understand what the problem is or how to fix it.

Glenn, thanks. I got your e-mail, but there doesn't seem to be any attachment to open. I have got it from Jay and had a look at it. I can't see how you have achieved four tool paths from only two chains? I can only imitate the tool paths by selecting the lines in both directions, which gives four chains. But mine doesn't roll around the ends of the lines, it retracts, rapids to the other side and plunges back in. Your NCI file is 7.9K and mine is 11.5K. There sure is a lot about MC that I don't know.

Thanks a million for your continued help guys. Without the forum I think I'd give up and go home or go crazy.

Hugh Venables.

Glenn thanks again. How on earth did you ever figure out how to do that. It still took me a while to figure out that for the curve the 'first entity' is selected at the start and the 'last entity' is selected twice, once at the end and again at the start. For the line the first and last entities are both at the start of the line. Not so obvious. This is a great tool for quick and dirty slots.

Unfortunately, unless I can prevent the tool paths from rolling around the ends of the lines, I can't use it for my job (a bordered grid of lines). Can I control this?