Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

V9 Lathe - OD Finish vs. ID Finish

CNCGUY

Chris,

For me its not that hard, but I dont do much of the programming any more.

Brian,

We do define the stock. The problem is - the first operation may remove more material than the second op. Therfore MC thinks the stock for the second op is gone and the tool will rapid to tool change position from inside the part.

I have added a safe guard "G00 Z.05", but that applies to all operations, not just I.D.

Hope I explained this clearly enough.

Troy

Troy, as a rule I send all tools .250 in front of the part before they go home and I use ref points to do it; unless your machine is really slow or the parts are really long I see no reason not to just tell your programmers 'retract to Z.100 or Z.250 EVERY TIME' and expect them to program the part correctly. I'm sure that when you click over to 'ID' for those bores Mastercam spits that info somewhere but I don't know how you can access it; probably something to do with interpreting the NCI files which I have made no effort to understand at all.

C

CNCGUY,

Methinks you can differentiate between ID and OD in the post. at least we could in V9.

Something like:

p_idtool # auto ID tool retract 12-01-94

if old_orient = 4, "G00Z.2", e$

if old_orient = 8, "G00Z.2", e$

where old_orient was set equal to orient previously cuz i thing orient is updated to the next tool orientation before this postblock is called

I use the postblock in order to be sure that my ID tools are clear of the part befor homing and/or indexing the turret.

cp