Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New mill, what to do about tools?

Bob W.

I recently received my new mill (Haas VF2-SS) which brings up a question about tools. My other mill is a Mini Mill with a 6000 rpm spindle and my entire tool library is built around this. With the new mill (12k spindle) I should be running most tools much faster than they are currently set up for and I have to type the speed and feeds manually. Is there a way to have the tools' speeds and feeds automatically adjust depending on which mill I select in Mcam?

Thanks,

Bob

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You could set up a formula using Misc. Reals/Int. that would either increase feed or decrease feed by a certain % according to what machine you want it to run on.

Just a thought.

We have a VFOE (7500rpm) and a TM1 (4000rpm) in our prototype shop. we have a basic tool list that we keep loaded in the first 10 pockets in the tool changer. these cover most of our milling needs. In Mastercam I have created separate libraries for each machine. tools that are not in the list get loaded in the higher number pockets. The two libraries have rpm, feed, coolant, depth of cut, etc saved according to typical conditions for each machine. The tools are set to stick out a known length and are all touched off a common point. Being a protoype shop everything we can do to minimize programming and set up time is critical.

That brings up another question. Most of my work is prototyping and I also wanted to standardize my first 10-12 tools. Is it possible to have the tools preloaded in a Mastercam file or do they need to be manually inserted every time I create a new file. My goal would be to have the standard tools already there when I create a new file. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Create a blank MC file, no geometry, add in your tools the way you want them.

When you start a new part open your blank file do a save as, your new file name, merge your geometry in and you will have a file with all tools in the #'s you want.

I do this with a file that has my table, vices and Ball Lock positions and standard tool set

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Is there a way to have the tools' speeds and feeds automatically adjust depending on which mill I select in Mcam?

I'm in the same situation. i've 10 toollibrary's for different materials and i don't like to double that for 2 machine type's.

IMO the Machine Definition should do that.

In my test the MMD limit the RPM to the max that is set.

But the feed and plunge are not always calculated down.

May be the Post can limit the RPM andcorrect the feed and plunge. Then the setup sheet also have to correct the time