Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Disappearing toolpaths!

William Grizwald

MCX mr2... This has been sent to QC at MC.

Don't know how or why but, at some point every single toolpath disappeared from the Operation Manager in my project. The toolpath groups they were in are still there but now empty. This has happened in the past but I would exit then reopen without saving and they'd all be there.

Well, this time I had the OM turned off while I was doing some drafting. I saved - then Alt-O. No operations! All 90+ ops are gone. Only the empty groups are there. I call my Sys Admin, it appears a trojan was working our network and killed off the nightly backups of our user group. The last backup was over a week ago with only 2 operations complete!

Tommorrow will be tough. They will want to know why, and I won't have an answer - only a poor excuse.

Anyone else had the dissapearing toolpaths issue?

--

Bill

quote:

The last backup was over a week ago with only 2 operations complete!

I would strongly suggest using backup files and turning Autosave OFF.

back.jpg

Sounds like an Autosave problem. Mastercams backup files work well and have saved me in the past.

Good luck

I never use Autosave. I was backing up copies to my local drive but we wanted to go to a vault type setup (poor man's PDM). We had some users keeping copies all over the place so we said lets keep them all in one place since we are a $700 million dollar company with a million dollar network to do incremental backups every night. I came from a Unix world where these things were not an issue.

Bottom line: it appears neither the glitch in MCX nor the glitch in the automated system backups are a valid excuse for my not having a program tommorrow. I was hoping to find an answer to the dissappearing toolpaths as that is an issue for me.

--

Bill

That really sux Bill,

The worst part of it is you'll have to explain it all to people who don't have a clue what's really involved in Cam programming.

Personally, I use X's intcremental backup utility,

work off my hard drive and store a copy on the network at the end of the day.

I've never experienced anything like your problem. It seems like X decided to switch to Design while you were drafting.

Install turn the incremental backup is on by

default. Have you looked in

C:mcamxmcx ???

Maybe there is a pleasant surprise in there smile.gif

quote:

Whats bad about using Auto save

big files can take a long time to save. If you don't realize Autosave is doing a Save and you are banging away at the keyboard during the Save, ugly things happen sometimes.

... the no toolpath issue...

We had this happen to a file at work the other day. Our Windows user permissions are heavily restricted here. One programmer was saving files to his password protected Desktop. He had to leave for the day and saved it to the network.

Everyone else who tried to open it got parasolid errors and no toolpaths. Even Admin passwords couldn't open it correctly.

When the guy came back to work, his User profile opened the file OK.

We've requested some guidance from CNC Software

on how to set up Windows User permissions, but have not recieved a reply yet.

Our local dealer say Power User is recommended.

Out IT department says Power User is too much and won't hear of it. I couldn't even customize my toolbars for a while cause the changes wouldn't stick. We're working through the problems on a issue by issue basis.

William,

Did you start programming the part in MR2?

Last week I had a file that needed modified, brought it into X2 and had some strange things go on when I tried to create a new op group change the name of another, the name changed back. OPs moved around between groups. I saved then re-opened and when I renamed again the names stuck. So now whwn I bring in an older file I save it first, then work on it in X2.

TG