Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operating System

Bullines

Hi Bryan

My machines all Win98 and one processor (PIII 750 Mhz or 800 Mhz).

RAM: only one 256 Mb, rest 128 Mb.

Mastercam run fine in all machines.

Service is big time for toolpath (big toolpath) and small time for CAD modeling.

Machine(s) work night for calculate toolpath.

Small investment in OS and machines and very easy work for people.

But my future is very good multi-processor machines and Win XP Pro for small investment in software ($$$ Mastercam $$$) and people.

Using:

Win2KPro on a Dell Inspiron 8000 900MHz with 384Mb RAM

Win98SE on a Dell T750r with 320Mb RAM. ('cause if it's not broke, don't fix it...)

Note to Bullines:

MSVC crashes intermittently in Win2K, never in Win98, however I have only BSOD'd the Win2K machine once in 8 months. The Win98 system locks up about every other day.

quote:

May I put an additional question to all the win 9x users

How much RAM does your win 9x computer have, and why did you specify that much?

256 RAM - Seemed like a nice number. Previous box had 64 megs.

PIII 1000, Win 98SE, Turned on each morning.

I prefer 'puters built by local guy instead of brand names.

BerTau

[ 02-27-2002, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: BerTau ]

Jay, MSVC = Microsoft Visual C++

MATSSMan, what version of MSVC are you using? If it's 5.0, have you patched it up to SP3? If it's 6.0, have you patched it up to SP5? What kind of projects does it crash with (MFC, ATL, Win32, etc...) or does it not matter? Does it lock up when the IntelliSense feature kicks in? Or is it when idle?

Using a 500MHz P3 box with 128 Mbyte RAM at work with NT4, build 6. Can be a real slug and chokes on moderately sized MC8 files. I can't get IT to increase the RAM because the boxes are leased (at least we got a computer technology refresh program going on the new contract we just won). I am using WIN 2000 PRO at my home office on a 2GHz P4 machine with 1 Gbyte of RAM - no problems since setting it up (even processing surface files up to 48Mbyte in size and toolpaths from......).

GRW

Here in the office we run primarily all Win2K machines (laptops and desktops) with varying hardware (we try new video cards, processors, and other pieces as they become available). We also have a machine running Win XP Pro that has been rock solid since we installed the OS on it. At home I have a Dell with a 1.5 Ghz P4 and 256 Meg of PC800 RDRAM that originally came with Win Me. After reloading the O/S on that machine 5 times I finally gave up on Me. Last weekend I added a RAID controller card, a second 40 GB HD and Win XP Pro. What an amazing difference! I would have to say that it boots up about 5 times faster than it did and with the RAID 0 configuration, downloads and installs are also much quicker (the whole XP install only took 20 minutes). So far I am very impressed with XP, it gives you the stability of Win 2k and the ability to Quake...

[ 03-01-2002, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Paul Decelles - Services4Automation ]