Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problems with dual core computers?

Trapper Paul

As far as I know 9 won't recognize a hasp in 64 bit, so he must be on 32 bit. I put together a dual core AMD at home, and I've found it to be a bit buggy. Downloading CPU drivers helped a lot. If it's a Dell packaged computer though it should have all that covered. You could try setting the affinity of the Mastercam.EXE process to one core or the other. That's helped me get some programs running more smoothly.

Today I just got my new workstation: a Dell Precision 490+Quadro FX550+XP PRO 32bits and I experienced randoms crashes with MC V9.1 MR304 (stuck here forever...). Mill.exe crashed at least once per hour today. I'm gonna look into Video driver. Do Nvidia 91.36 Quadro drivers should be OK? Which Profile must be selected? I just read on the forum that Unified Back/Depth Buffer must be unselect with MCX...I will check this setting with MC9.

quote:

I just read on the forum that Unified Back/Depth Buffer must be unselect with MCX

The 'Unified Back/Depth Buffer' setting on some Nvidia cards can sometimes causes graphic issues when backplotting MCX toolpath.

FYI (from X-MR2 on...),

Settings - Configuration - Screen (page) - 'Disable Front Buffer' option checked ON will tell Mastercam to do its own thing to deal with the 'Unified Back/Depth Buffer'.

Meaning: You can tell Mastercam do deal with it, without having to disable that setting in the graphics card driver.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I've used my Dell precision 490 for almost 3 months now... and nothing has changed frown.gif I still have random crashes very often (once per hour or even more)

I deactivated Autosave, Depth buffer, updated Nvidia drivers 91.36,... I even try to deactivate video acceleration in windows control panel(cursor to the left) and still have crashes. So i'm starting to wonder if it's a video issue.

Any help or ideas ?

V9.1 MR304 (stuck here...) - XP PRO - QUADRO FX550

To assign affinity: Start your Task Manager (r-click on task bar or ctrl-alt-del) and go to the processes tab. Find the mastercam.exe process and right-click on it. If you're on a multi-core system, you'll have an option for setting affinity. Click on 0 or 1 (or 2 or 3 if you have a quad core) and the program should run only on that one core. This is only for the current instance, so you'd have to do it every time you start Mastercam. There are some free downloadable utilities that claim to set the affinity of a program / process for every time it's run, but I tried one and it didn't work for me. YMMV.