Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wire Gurus

ToolMan184

I have always used G92 myself. But one of my operators ask this question and got my brain gears turning.

Do you ever set up multiple parts in the wire for overnight or weekend burns? We have and we used G54-G56 and made a program and called up the subs for each program. Since XYZUV are set up in the G54s it made it easier.

Im just tryin to gigure out if it would easier to just make all the programs use G54s or stay with the G92.

Guess it will give me something to ponder on this weekend.

Yea I have setup multiple parts. I have that going on right now at work.

I've never used the G54-G56. I would like to look into that though.

Now with G54-G56 I had 2 parts setup I take it we would put the center of ea. as the G54 -G56

as a new start point for that block (machine pos.)?

I've never looked into that and is that what your getting at?

It's easy to set up the 2nd block without dealing with the machine loc. (Edge to Edge location) if you need to pick it up central.

But then again, I may want to learn the way you mention as just maybe it is easier and I don't know its capabilities.

We copy and transform/translate the original

in the computer the the actual location the part is in the machine. This works very well.

Let me know what you think when you research it!

I'll see if I have time to look into it.

Very-very intersesting as Shultz would say. smile.gif

Actually when using the G54-G56 in MC you dont have to xform translate it. Just tell it where 0 is at and your done. When programming multiple parts and setting them up on the machine. I just set my G54-G56 on the machine, and program using G54-G56 to where ever I want 0 and turn it lose. It will burn the first part per the operations, then cut the wire, raise or lower the head (depending on G54s) reposition, and start burning the second part. It is exactly like programming a mill using G54s. But In X2 you can it all from within 1 file.

Example: You could do a Mill program, another Mill Program, Wire Program, Another Mill program all within the same X2 file.

I like that.

I hate repeating this but I am sort of new to wire so I have a lot to learn. I just need to remain open minded as there are some ways that are easier than others and this forum is really opening up some doors for me to explore!

When I was designing and CNC milling graphite electrodes we could only do one at a time since we didn't have the room in the machine.

I will definately check this out but it takes time. What I need is some good training on the wires.

But between this forum and the wire books I may get a lot of good ideas. cheers.gif

Maybe on Monday you'll get some more responses to your original question.

I verily think it is prefrence, we use G92 but we do not use multiple setups, however if we did on a regular basis I would. For my case I never use G54 unless I am programing for our production, I always use G110, that way no one screws up my work cordinate, I have found that so many people are so focused on G54, that if I have a setup where I have used G54 and they need to jump into the machine , they start shaking when you tell them they have to pick another work cordinate.

Sorry for rampling. biggrin.gif

Lars

I agree, I am still learning to use the WCS with X2. But when we get a handle on it things will be much faster to program. Its not hard to learn, but when you have 10-15 min. at a time to work with it you forget where you were before you left. rolleyes.gif At least thats my story and Im stickin to it. biggrin.gif

I think most wire people still use G92 though. Thought it would be nice to get some input from others. Im never afraid to try something new, especially if it saves me time. Im getting lazy in my old age.

I never used G54's for multiple parts. I would use the part program as sub. main program would be incremental moves from one part to another.

Also I would record the machine coord's of the center of each part in case the program was interrupted. Also with this method I could skip any of the first parts if I had to put more wire on.

another part we made (extrusion die) would use the same sub program only rotated equally by 5 about the center of the part.

There are many ways to run multiple parts before ever having to get into multiple WCS's.

HTH

I use G54's ect. We have 81 total work offsets on the Makino and they come in real handy. You can still work with subs and use G54, just make sure to output your sub programs in incremental. I usually keep one of my back up workoffeset set to the base work offset incase of some bonehead hitting the cooridinate zero button accidentally. banghead.gif That would be me for those of you that don't know it. On the makino control the relative work zero button and the work zeor button are side by side. Kinda like the start and reset buttons being side by side. rolleyes.gif

Back to the question. I work with all of my mill and wire toolpaths in the same file and it makes it easier with the WCS and outputing the WCS in the file. But I was a mill and Ram edm guy long before I ever saw a wire edm.

i use g92 for each new position and i never use subs.i set a measure point on my fanuc wires which

stores the machine location and i can never lose that position.that code is a g77p1 for each measure point.as soon as the wire reads that code it rapids to that position.