Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

read .sldprt files

Steve Hattori

I have an odd problem no one seems to know how to fix-

I had a bug crash X2 badly enough to get me a blue-screen in XP Pro. This corrupted something in the system, and had to do a windows repair. Whatever it was, it also affected Xmr2, which I went back to after the crash, and MR2 crashed also. So, I un-installed X2, uninstalled MR2, and reload MR2 fresh. Now, MR2 works, but can't read sldprt files- says "no parasolid data". Even on a file I read in and programmed before. Now, it won't read that same sldprt file... This is puzzling, because I have MR2 on a laptop, and that install WILL read the file that the desktop won't. So now, I have to open files on the laptop, then move the mxc over to the desktop.

If anyone has solved this problem, I would appreciate input.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Is the desktop running Windows 2000? SolidWorks 2007 does not support that O/S any more and therefore we can't read SolidWork 2007 parts when using Win 2000. That might explain why some read and some don't.

You're correct in thinking that since some read in and some don't, it's most likely not a registry issue. But having said that, I don't think X MR2 supported import of SW2007 files SLDPRT files. I believe some customers did find that you could register the X2 version of SWDocumentMgr on a box with only X MR2 and it will read them.

John, thanks for the tip- sadly, already unchecked.

Pete, running XP Pro... I don't get why it used to work, and now it doesn't? I can't re-open a sldprt file that I opened before.. Due to the fact that I have about 15 more parts in this batch to program, it's very annoying to have to open them all on the laptop, make an mcx file, and send it over to the desktop for programming.

Point is, it usta could, till X2 wrecked it, now it cain't. ???

Sounds to me like what Pete Rimkus said is happening. If you had X2 & X MR2 installed on the same PC it would have installed the newer swdocumentmgr.dll file which enables importing Solidworks 2007 files. Regardless of whether you were in X2 or X MR2 it would still import them. Now that you only have X MR2 installed it has the older swdocumentmgr.dll file which will not import SolidWorks 2007 files.

If it is a problem with registering the .dll file I've found that running a repair installation of Mastercam usually corrects the problem.

Thank you all for replying- hard disc crashed, so that computer is in hospital now, possibly going to morgue...

So, apparently, running X2 causes system crash and hard disc failure? People should be warned!

OK, just kidding a little. I don't think X2 was the root problem. If I get sh#tbox back with new drive, I'll bravely try X2 again, and see if file-read prob. exists with fresh install. I will NOT work on file that originally crashed X2, and has official "defect" registered with CNC software.

Meantime, I am running on laptop which X2 crash didn't destroy yet. Only using MR2 on this machine for now. Reads sldprt files fine...

Thank you all for your time.