Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

rotary axis training

DG

Hello Guys..Could anybody make their best recommendations for some training or reference files for some fairly basic 4 axis ring shaped files. I am new to using 4 axis rotary programs. I can do almost anything in 3 axis surfaces but am brand new to rotary. I know that there are axis sub routines and roll die routines and 4&5 axis swarf and flowline paths, but it all looks like I'd have to experiment a lot. My employer presently programs rings for an inverse feed Fanuc controller with 4 different programs for each ring. I know we can do the entire ring with MCX in one program, but don't know where to start. It's just a basic band shape contoured on one side , a channel on the other with stone seats milled in with drilled through windows. I am a little older so I function better as a show me guy. Any CD's or video's or ftp files that would give me a starting out pt? I tried a 5 axis flowline tied to 4 axis but the path wont continue around the part.

I put one on the FTP that you can look at. The Ball_Inside_Square.mcx file. You can put a Machine def of a 4axis mill in that file copy the operations expect for the Right Face C-planes ones and backplot and see how that one works.

4 axis work has been covered 100 ways to Sunday on here and once you get into with Mastercam and see how really simple it is you will be very glad you have Mastercam in which to do it in. I would say the easiest way to get started is to use the rotate C-planes and rotate about X to get you the different index angle to post out correct. The best way I can sum it up is think of the C-planes as Loking at that Index position on your machine as the spindle looking down on the part. If you were the spindle looking down on the part the X axis and Y axis still face the same way as doing 3 axis work. So in Mastercam make sure your Z,X,Y all face the same way and you will avoid the Post error when trying to post axis not vaild. If you get stuck share a file and we can help point you in the right direction.

HTH

Thank you very much, I know about the vast coverage of 4 axis here and I have been reading a LOT of it and I think I got myself all confused on the best approach. I have learned so much from reading these pages. I owe a lot to you guys. I hope to be able to pass it on. The only thing that is better than learning something new is teaching it to some one else. John I will check that book out. I know they have a new CD out on 4 axis also, have you any experience with it?

Thank you very much, I know about the vast coverage of 4 axis here and I have been reading a LOT of it and I think I got myself all confused on the best approach. I have learned so much from reading these pages. I owe a lot to you guys. I hope to be able to pass it on. The only thing that is better than learning something new is teaching it to some one else. John I will check that book out. I know they have a new CD out on 4 axis also, have you any experience with it?