Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Files

Greg Williams

I have a part that gets machined over 4 setups on a 4 axis Machine so as you can imagine it is quite complex. Is it possible to verify the first setup and save the result as a ___? file, then use this ___? file as the stock file for the verify in the Second setup. and then again for the 3rd setup. Maybe an STL file can do this but confused.gif I cant seem to work it out. If this is possible it would make my job a lot easier.

Run the first op thru verify, then save this as an .stl file. There is a button on the verify toolbar for this. Then you can run the 2nd op thru verify, but when you setup your stock, you can chose to use a file instead of box or cylinder on in the verify configuation page. Just chose the the previously saved .stl file. Run verify on this and save as .stl file. Do this for each op and you should get just what you want. Hope this helps.

Heres a method used by us old tool & die makers to qualify setup orientations. Use a tooling ball ( as many as you need ) to re-orient for pickup to the next setup. Use tooling balls rather than dowel pins because the ball gives you all three axis to a positive point, the ball centre. I've even had parts that were qualified to reference points that are out in space. To do this, I used a block of steel larger than the part and put the tooling ball into position, used it as the master to pickup the datum point and milled the feature. My parts were the only ones submitted that passed inspection. 3D software is great, but how do you think we did stuff 25 years ago? Complex setups sometimes need an experienced mind to see more clearly than 3D CAD systems.

Thanks Maestro and Millturn, that is the info I was after. Johns I do agree tooling balls are a very usfull thing however not for this application. Charles, 1 file deos seem an easier option but this part is an R&D item so it constantly has revisions so breaking the file into setups makes keeping track of this a little easier.

[ 03-10-2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Greg W ]