Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HIGH SPEED MACHINING V9

FISHING MAN

Hi All,

I have read many topics on high speed machining,But I still not sure if I should be using it or not.I have a aluminum block that has to have a rectangular pocket machined 3.5 deep .What advantage would I have verse using zig zag toolpath?I saw a video on SurfC#@#@ using something simular.I am just not sure on how to set it up and if I should be using it.HELP

Thank you ,

John

John

HIgh speed pocket I find is only good if your machine is actually a high speed machine. The idea is to take lots of small cuts really fast instead of hogging it out. Our machines are good, but not high speed so we don't use it (it is slowwer for us).

The HSM surface toolpaths are great, however, with or without a highspeed machine.

When roughing, our considerations typically have to do with the layout of the part.

If the design of the part allows you to make long uninterrupted linear cuts, using the Zig-Zag eliminates a large portion of time where the machine would otherwise be in Acc/Dec.

If the design is more closed, I would agree with Colin. High speed pocket with no Trochoidal, only corner rounding. Also a function to reduce Acc/Dec, as well as preserve tool life.

It would be nice if the corner rounding feature were available on all pocketing toolpaths.