Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Recomendation?

mcpgmr

I'm taking the high speed machining approach to this one and I'm actually going to be able to buy what I need to do it. Typically I would use a necked, solid carbide 2-3 flute e.m. for this. My pocket corners are .130" and the fillet rad's are .06". I've got the program done and verified and now I just need to pick out the best cutter for the job. I want go with Ø.25 x .06" c.r. for the pocketing. Deepest pocket is 1.25". Any suggestions on a Tool Manufacturer. We usually buy thru MSC and I don't see anything in their catalog that meets my needs. Thanks in advance! Sorry for the size of the pictures.

imsicap.jpg

imsicap2.jpg

What's the material?

I have used OSG slimline shrinker with solid carbide endmills in Alminum. These tools are awesome. If you plan an going fast you need a good setup (rigid) and shrink tooling with balanced holders. The difference is unbelieveable in finish, speed, and tool life.

Greg.

Ooops! Material 7075 Alum. 1st op in a vise. 7500rpm is all I have to work with. More like High speed principal without the high speed. 2 tools to do the milling in this op. Ø.25 e.m. and Ø.125 ball e.m. for all the external fillets and variable blend rads. I've done parts like this here before but always with some hand ground pc of crap HSS e.m.

Thanks and I'll start looking into everyones recomendations. cheers.gif

Nobody has said anything about "Metal Removal"?

These things have impressed me. I pushed one as hard and fast as I could without it picking up any chatter, then swaped an accupro (junk) iscar (junk) neither could hold up. Available from MSC, even the Maestro's (staggered tooth) hold up great for other materials.

So, After doing some searching for a tool with the exact geometry I needed and not finding it we decided to buy a high helix solid carbide from MSC with the .06 corner rad's and are going to grind the neck relief here. I'll make the best out of the 7500rpm that we have. It's going in a Horizontal Hitachi Seiki so the chips won't be a problem. Thanks for all the suggestions! smile.gif