Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is it possible to save NC files in lower case text?

andrewgore

Maybe I missed something, but as the title says, is it possible that when a toolpath is processed and the nc file is saved, is there any way to make it so the file name is NOT in upper_case font? Mr. Atec control doesn't like to read files in uppercase (even in the file extension....ie file.NC).

Any help is appreciated. I assume I just once again missed something, but i've sat there countless times going through my configurations. Maybe its a post processor thing?

Andrew

Initial thinking is simple to do but alot to do because of the quantity

All of the callout like these

code:

stri        "I"

strj "J"

strk "K"

strm "M"

strn "N"

stro "O"

strp "P"

srad "R"

srminus "R-"

Would have to to be change, everything that cause output would have to be updated

I think you might of misunderstood where I was going with this. The text inside the NC file is just fine. The problem is the actual file name itself. The "PART.NC" aspect of the file.

I used to just click on the file and retype in with lower case in my windows explorer, but decided earlier to make it so it always opens NC files with Mastercams editor (can't use cimco anymore as the version that came with 9 we have still been using doesn't work with 64 bit systems).

Anyways, now that I made it open always with MCeditor, it took away the file extension in the windows explorer.

Maybe that helps describe it better?

Thanks for the help

Andrew

Kannon,

Thanks. I tried that, but apparently it still isn't doing the trick. I did however get windows to not "recognize" a proper program to open the NC files with, so now I can go back and retype in the file with extension in lower case. Ill keep messing around with the post though. Thanks

Andrew

I have a neat little exe proggy that my dad compiled for me to do just that....it is on the FTP. It was made with VB 6.0.

I think it is renfiles.exe in the unspecified folder..

Enjoy...just drop it in your NC folder. run the exe and highlight the files you want to change to lowercase, click OK and x out.

I use it every day... cheers.gif

sweet. only downside is that all my files are usually 1 off kind of things. I run through all my toolpaths to ensure that they're all working properly, make adjustments if needed, and then post out all toolpaths as one large toolpath. Ill see how it works out. Thanks

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with upper case extensions on nc files. We have some old controls that only recognize lower case file names, while X2 only outputs upper case.

I've changed my control def. and posts to lower case extensions, but still get upper case output.

I found a great shareware program that will change the case on file extensions in directories and sub-directories: http://www.altarsoft.com/all_file_renamer....action=download

But I would prefer to get proper output from Mastercam.

• 2 weeks later...

Example of ppost$ added to the std. MPFAN.PST -->

code:

peof$            #End of file for non-zero tool           

pretract

comment$

#Remove pound character to output first tool with staged tools

#if stagetool = one, pbld, n, *first_tool, e

n$, "M30", e$

mergesub$

clearsub$

mergeaux$

clearaux$

"%", e$

ppost$

result=rename(spathnc$+snamenc$+sextnc$, spathnc$+lcase(snamenc$)+lcase(sextnc$))

Thanks guys, finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I am an Idiot!!!

I thought those indentations were just for looks.

Told yas I was post retarded.....

DUH!!

Whenever I would cut and paste stuff to my post from the forum, it would all end up on the same line....

Lowercase is automatic now....

Now I need to go back and see if I can run an EXE file with PPost...

I have an EXE that sections up my NC files for my little DOS control emulater on one of my machines.

• 2 months later...

I've tried adding the ppost$ command, with indentations on two different posts (mpcin850 and mpselca) and it has not worked for me. Is there a certain amount of spaces for the indentation or a switch that needs to be turned on for this to work?

Mastercam vX2

Note that the ppost$ postblock is special, as it is called after all the files are closed.

So why does that matter?

Example: If you put this in the ppost$ postblock ->

code:

ppost$

"I am here in ppost$ !!!", e$

This line of text will not appear in the NC file. The NC file has already been closed before ppost$ is called.

Post Class is now dismissed... wink.gif

------

Scott,

Assuming that you have entered the ppost$ and the 'rename' command properly into your PST and it still does not work.

I'd guess that the variable "result" being used in the formula is not defined in your PST.

Simple to do, just add a declaration just before the ppost$ line, like this ->

(NO spaces in front of 'result : 0')

code:

result : 0    # Must be defined!

ppost$

result = rename(spathnc$+snamenc$+sextnc$, spathnc$+lcase(snamenc$)+lcase(sextnc$))